News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Switching advice

Started by WittmanStudios, December 14, 2012, 12:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WittmanStudios

Hello all,

I am working on the design of my benchwork for my model railroad. I am using mostly Bachmann engines and freight stock for this layout and the track is something I can't mention. I have it all planned out and I do not want to install automatic point motors to this layout, I would like to install flexible rods and connect a certain one to a switch. I can't see to find any advice on google and I wonder if anyone out there would like to give me advice on this little project. Just to point out (no pun intended) the switches are electrofrogs and the layout is all DC control by one bachmann powerpack.

If anyone can help me, that would be super! I would appreciate it.

Alex

WittmanStudios

jward

http://www.humpyard.com

not only will these do what you want, they also look like the levers used in the signal towers.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

WittmanStudios

jward, That's a very helpful website too. I looked at the photos and I can't figure out what type of wire or rod they used for the project? It looks like a really thick electrical wire I would buy at my local hardware store. Anyways thanks for the help, This will really help.

Alex

jward

the wire in those kits is actually a thin push rod like the ones used in model airplanes and boats. it slides in a plastic sleeve, and can be bent into small radii. it can be adapted to just about any situation.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

WittmanStudios

This product will be very helpful. I'm trying to make a british type railway and I need to operate home made GWR signals I am planning on building. Thanks again!

Alex

jward

those push rods will operate semaphore signals as well.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

Bicycle brake cables can be cut down and used for this. And, if you can still find them anywhere, choke cables for carburetor equiped automobiles also work well.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.