Which train for Dickens village

Started by TheaK, December 17, 2012, 08:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

Quote from: Franco Conte on December 20, 2012, 01:00:18 AM
This year I added a Bachman "Home for the Holidays" train to our Dept 56 Dicken's village.  It worked out just great.

I had to redesign the village layout and because of space restrictions it set on a 43 x 94 inch top with 2" foam board and mountains and hills on each side.  The tracks are graded so the rear rises 1.5 inches to the rear. If interested I can send photos.

Having trouble keeping the tender coupled to the engine and would appreciate any advice?

New to the model railroading business... and this site.  Can I post photos with this message?

Start a new thread for the loco issue.

Post photos with a Photo Bucket account.

Post videos with You Tube account.

Rich

BIG BEAR

TK,
    A few yyears ago dept 56 bldg had  last commisioned Bachmann to do On30 Trains for them. They were very pricey but did look really good, nicely detailed great colors... hard to find as out of production a few years. Occasionally e-bay will have one. I would (and do also run) On30 around my village and also have an On30 trolley running through town. Looks great.

Enjoy,
   Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

Skarloey Railway

There isn't much available in British model railways suitable for Dickens' time period (1812-1870) and certainly nothing ready-to-run in either OO scale or O scale. Bearing in mind that Dickens died only one year after the completion of your transcontinental RR perhaps you want one of MTH's O gauge early 4-4-0s but I don't know what radius they'll cope with.

Anyway, Dickens is one of ours! You've got Mark Twain and Melville :o

Pops

Just a follow up to my previous posts -

In the current issue (Dec./Jan 2013) of "Village D-Lights" magazine, there is an article on village trains.  This magazine is aimed at village collectors, mostly Dept. 56.     http://www.treasuresmagazine.com/village_dlights/

They talk about each village and what goes best with them.  As for Dickens' Village, they said it "would spring to life with a proper British 0-6-0 tank engine and coaches in OO scale pulling into a Victoria Station brimming with Christmas shoppers."  

OO is roughly the same as the American HO, and the same time period would be great for a 4-4-0 Modern American or 4-6-0 Ten Wheeler.    Here's one source for a Bachmann model -   http://www.modelzone.co.uk/br-standard-class-3mt-tank-82001-br-lined-black-early-emblem-bc31-979.html        This is what I have -    http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3525

For Snow Village they suggest O or O27.  North Pole is a fantasy and anything will work.  New England and Christmas in the City is On30 on their recommendations.

But the nice thing about this hobby is you can do whatever you want.  It's your decision as to what you like.  Me, I'll stay with HO in my Dickens' Village - 'cause that's what I like.

;) ::) ::) ;)     8)