Main Menu

Large=G??

Started by rmoench, December 24, 2012, 04:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Satnik

Cape Gauge = 3'-6" = 42"  x 25.4mm/in = 1067mm

45mm/1067mm ~= 1/24 scale

1.75"/42" = 1/24 scale

I've seen 1/24 scale referred to as "H" scale, or "Half Inch" scale (1/2"=1 Foot), common in dollhouses. 

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

NarrowMinded

Hi Scottycaos,

You make some good points, But as you point out there are more then one scale in the "G" catagory, I think this is what muddies the water for those that are new to large scale or only dabble in it for Christmas or are buying a gift.

I have recieved more then a few gifts that were not in my preffered scale because the buyer walked into the trains store and told them they are looking for "G" scale.

NM-Jeff

scottychaos

Quote from: NarrowMinded on January 09, 2013, 10:53:47 PM
Hi Scottycaos,

You make some good points, But as you point out there are more then one scale in the "G" catagory, I think this is what muddies the water for those that are new to large scale or only dabble in it for Christmas or are buying a gift.

I have recieved more then a few gifts that were not in my preffered scale because the buyer walked into the trains store and told them they are looking for "G" scale.

NM-Jeff

Yeah, that will always be a problem!  :P (family members and presents)
but technically there *isnt* more than one scale in the "G" category..there is only one "G scale"..the generic term for all the different scales lumped together should be "Large scale"..not "G scale"..

As hobbiests ourselves, we can easily understand that..if we walk into a train store, we know we want 1/29 scale, not Fn3 scale, but we cant expect non-hobbiests to ever understand those differences..to non-hobbiests, the term "G scale" will probably forever be the one and only term they will understand..

but that's not a failing of the terminology we are discussing..that's just normal ignorance by non hobbiests..
we cant expect to change that..

The HO scale guys (and all scales)  im sure have that problem too! ;) and they only have one scale to choose from! ;)
yet im sure many a well-meaning family member has walked into a train store to buy a present..they were asked "what scale does he model in?" they know the answer is "HO scale"..and they proceed buy a lovely Civil-War era passenger car for the guy who models nothing but the most modern diesels and trains! ;)

Scot

BarneyJack

QuoteAs hobbyists ourselves, we can easily understand that..if we walk into a train store, we know we want 1/29 scale, not Fn3 scale, but we cant expect non-hobbiests to ever understand those differences

Good points as well.  However, if someone could answer the question "What kind of trains do you use?" with "I model in G20", that would be useful information.  On top of that, let's look at a hypothetical situation where someone starts kitbashing narrow gauge models in 1/32 to go with their current standard gauge large scale trains.  They hand lay some 1.125" gauge track for their kitbashed/hand built 1/32 scale 3' gauge trains.  The idea takes off.  What the heck do we call that?  With the "Gauge"-" Scale" annotation, we could give, (for no other reason but that it doesn't currently mean anything) the 1.125" gauge the "E" annotation followed by "32"  Then there is a clear understanding of what a "G32" and an "E32" would be.  Would there be a group that would settle for the slight gauge error of available track for another scale? (naahhh, that wouldn't happen... ;))  Say E20 representing 1:20.3 2 foot units (1.125" instead of 1.18" gauge)? Maybe.  And, IMHO, fairly easy to understand.  Again, just a thought...
Home of the Petaluma, Santa Rosa & Napa Valley Railway