News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large Outside Frame Consolidation.

Started by Shayster, December 25, 2012, 10:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayster

I have the 2-8-0 Spectrum I bought new in '07 and it maybe has less than 3hrs run time but has been in airconditioned storage.  When I took it to our Club Christmas train run at a local car dealer this past week you could hear the motor running but no motion.  The wheels would not drive and were more or less free wheeling.

Suggestions please...

Shayster... :(

Joe Zullo

Your drive gear has broken. You need to replace the gear.

mickeykelley

armorsmith

Shayster,

Joe has hit the nail on the head.  This is a very common problem with the Spectrum 'Connie'.  You basically have two options.  Option one is to send the locomotive back to Bachmann, along with a $50.00 check and they will repair the unit for you using the same axle/gear combination that failed in the first place.  Option two is to purchase the replacement axle/gear combination from the Bachmann spare parts site for $10.00 and repair it your self.  The replacement axle/gear http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_142&products_id=3843 is a brass gear, not nylon as originally supplied, and will last literally for ever.

I don't have the threads bookmarked, but do a search for the subject on both Large Scale Central (www.largescalecentral.com) and My Large Scale (www.mylargescale.com).  There are a whole bunch of great people with tons of knowledge that will chime in to help.  After a quick search here, I found this thread http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,15307.0.html  which may also address the 'how to' of replacement.

Bob C.

Shayster

Thanks for all the Info...
I'm inspired,  I'll tackle the job and order the part...

chuckger

Shayster,

I just replaced the gear on my Connie. Called B-mann was told they did not have brass gear in stock. I got a delron gear from NWSL. Check on Large Scale Central, there is a thread in the modeling forum, look for a post by Mic he has a link on how to replace the gear with the part number you need. Hope this helps

Chuck

Loco Bill Canelos

I used the NWSL gear when I replaced the gear in a friends Connie, since then he has run the loco for many many hours without problems.

When you do the job I recommend using sealable snack bags to put the parts and screws in as you go. I number each bag and put a short description on it with a sharpie marker.  Helps a lot and reduces confusion about which screw or part went where!!

Have fun doing your repair and take your time!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Shayster

Thanks again, I have the part on order.
The final drive gear (white) is split.
Wish me luck on the refurb...

Shayster...

smcgill