Quote from: union pacific 844 on January 04, 2013, 01:12:43 AM
what size of wire do i need to wire a engine

from the motor to the wheels?  I like stranded 22ga. phil

union pacific 844

like for leds  and the form the motor

richg

Quote from: union pacific 844 on January 04, 2013, 11:26:10 AM
like for leds  and the for the motor

Most HO  locos come with #30 wire. If you are doing DCC, you can get the wire with DCC colors. Some #30 wire is very flexible. Many times a supplier will tell you how many strands in a wire. More stands will be a more flexible wire. Rubber covered will be more flexible than plastic covered.
I use #30 in DCC locos and the same size will be just fine for DC. My Bachmann has what looks like #30. I have seen #29 specified at times. Very little difference.

I have used #44 magnet wire from an old coil for LED's when I had to snake the wire through a tight spot or up inside the cab walls.

Rich

union pacific 844

where can i get #30 wire at ?

richg

I have to assume you do not have a LHS nearby.
Litchfield Station, a very good DCC supplier is one place I buy from with decent shipping charge.
http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/home.php?cat=171

You can rip apart an old PC mouse and get small wire that is flexible.

Rich

union pacific 844

there no hobby shop with in 100 miles that i know of

richg

Quote from: union pacific 844 on January 04, 2013, 01:33:23 PM
there no hobby shop with in 100 miles that i know of

Do not put your address in this thread.
PM me your snail mail address. I will send you #30 colored DCC wire I have as I cannot do DCC work anymore. Might cost two stamps that I can handle.

Rich

Doneldon

844-

If you have any of the old multi-colored wire that Atlas used to pack with their
turnouts (maybe they still do???), it will work fine. Also, individual wires from
the old-style computer cables will work just fine for loco lights.

-- D

electrical whiz kid

Go to an electronics supply house and buy what you want.  If you cannot find said house, go on line and buy that way.  Be careful with small wire size.
Rich C.

richg

If you have no experience with this, use the below tool.

http://www.micromark.com/hard-to-find-wire-stripper-awg-20-30,6544.html

I have one. I have one for #10 to #22, also.

I can use a razor blade or Xacto knife but a knick on a wire can result in the strands breaking when the wire is flexed.
I have been using wire for electronics circuits for many years and the correct tool is usually the best way to do this.

Rich

electrical whiz kid

You should never use a razor blade to cut small wire; I don't care how good you are, because eventually, you will nick a conductor(s) and not realize you did that until murphy rears his head...  Use the proper tool; especially on small gauge wire.  I have been an electrician for forty-odd years, and do speak from (sometimes bitter) experience.  And small gauge wire can be called a lot of stuff, but pernicious will do.  Even nicking large-sized conductors can cause problems.  Why beg for trouble?
As Rick said, go to Micromark if you like, or you can pick up a set of Ideal or Klein strippers at any electrican supply house. or even home improvement stores.
Rich C.

jward

radio shack sells smaller wire sizes suitable for rewiring locomotives.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

The #30 wire is in the mail. Get the stripper for this wire. It will pay off. Some old timers like to tell you to use your teeth, believe it or not.. You need good tools check Micro Mark. I have bought from them.

rich