News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

wire size?

Started by union pacific 844, January 04, 2013, 01:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

The #30 wire looks quite small but it is the size in HO scale locos. I have some #30 wire wrap wire but it is solid wire with a very thin tough coating. I doubt it is used much anymore. It requires a special stripper. !970's, 1980's technology.
The colors are pretty much standard for DCC and I would recommend you try to stick with it.
Tan and striped are not included as those two colors are used with a couple different decoder companies.
The colored shrink matches the wires. A hair dryer with a funnel attachment works well for shrinking the stuff. I have a professional heat gun I picked up some years ago. Even a clean soldering iron tip works if you are careful.

Rich

utdave

Stripping small wires     i use a bic lighter, heat the end and pull off,  if  its to much just snip off the extra.     then can be used for heat shrink  on your connections as well.   

Doneldon

Yes, 30 gauge wire is pretty tiny but it's adequate for the short connections inside of a locomotive. Just don't use it anywhere else.
I'm aware that some people use it for track feeders but I think they are a poor choice for that application. I don't hesitate to use 28
or 30 ga wire inside of locos or buildings but I always use at least 24 ga for feeders.

-- D

electrical whiz kid

Yeah, Rich-but that might be one reason why the old timers wear dentures...  Kind of humourous when one thinks about it.
Rich C.