News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Couplers

Started by Old John, January 10, 2013, 05:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old John

What size Bachmann knuckle coupler (Long Medium or Short) should you use when replacing the Rapido couplers on the "Old Timer" series cars and the 4-4-0 locomotives?

Albert in N

On mine, I used the short shank Bachmann dummy knuckle couplers some 5 years ago, since the new magnetic ones had not yet been introduced.  The UP 4-4-0 locomotive rapido tender coupler had always been too high, causing cars to uncouple repeatedly.  The Bachmann dummy knuckle coupler did the same after I installed the new one.  Thus, I shimmed and fitted a Micro-Trains coupler bringing it to the proper height for my Bachmann old-time passenger cars that came with this set.  The distance between the coupled cars remained too far apart, even though I used short shank couplers.  Had I not traded off the set at a train show, I would have body mounted Micro-Trains  couplers at the proper height for N scale.  By the way, I saw a new B&O old-time 4-4-0 passenger set at the WGH train show last weekend at the Bachmann booth.  I noted that the locomotive knuckle coupler was too high to properly match the car couplers, so I assume that most of these Bachmann 4-4-0s have excessively high, oversized couplers. 

Old John

Albert,

Thank you for the helpful information - John

James in FL

You should be good to go with the short shanks on your old timer cars.
Generally when it comes to coupler length from all manufacturers, I use short shanks on everything possible.
I like the closer spacing of the cars.

The coupler is body mounted to the tender.
FWIW mine wears a Unimate (non-functioning) short.
I'll change to a functioning knuckle when I get a round tuit.
Very low in my priority list as all my old timer passenger cars have been stripped and are awaiting paint,
and that very same round tuit.

Good luck