News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Shorty Bachman Passenger Cars

Started by GorreJim, August 07, 2007, 08:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GorreJim

Has anyone out there "shrink" (shorten) the Bachman passenger cars, ala Sierra RR ?

Any suggestions - recommendations ?

GJ

Woody Elmore

The Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette has had articles and pictures of passenger cars that have been shortened. I'm sure there are other articles in other publications.

ksivils

I have.  I used Tom Yorke's article in the Gazette, I forget which issue, as a guide.  I shortened a combine.

It is not difficult.  BUT, measure 3 or 4 times before you cut.  Think ahead and be careful.  Once the razor saw has been wielded you are commited.

Again, not difficult, just take your time and be careful.  The Yorke article, which would be worth getting your hands on, really makes the cuts, etc. that must be made very clear.

It turned out to be my best kitbashed piece of passenger equipment todate and I have about 10 or 11 pieces of passenger equipment kitbashed or detailed from stock Bachmann pieces.

If you don't want to got the razor saw route, Randy of Grizzly Mountain Engineering sells very nice kits for On30 coaches.  The On30 "Super Short" Combine kit is actually based on the Sierra coach and combine.  He has a web site, I just don't recall the address.

Hope this helps.

aussie30inch

Gorrejim

Their is an excellent artical in NGSL Gazette May/june 2002 by Thomas A. Yorke page 29 which he converts a combine to 23ft 4incn (in scale feet ) which you could use for the standard coach as well.Its very easy to follow
and the end result is very good. Hope that has helped

aussie30inch      Geoff :D

renniks

It is fairly simple but there is one thing that you must remember. The width of any piece removed from the sides must that of a single or multiple windows. Otherwise you will have an incomplete clerestory window when you shorten the roof. You also have to shorten the sub-chassis and the seat unit by the same amount. Remove material around the center of the body and roof and the outer roof fixing lugs will still match the body. Have found a razor saw the best tool for the job.

Eric UK

Royce Wilson

I have shorten a Bachmann coach and mounted it on a Oe Magic Train 4 wheel coach chasis and man it looks good... ;D ;D ;D ;D
                                                                       Royce

Royce Wilson

sorry, meant to add that for the folks that do not know, Oe is 1/43 narrow gauge in Europe and runs on HO track. the box cars are neat!

Royce 8)