Bachmann Dynamis & pro can we get JMRI to hook up to this

Started by utdave, January 08, 2013, 05:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

utdave

I was looking at the JMRI  site  and they didnt show a bachmann interface  for there command station.   havent seen any port of the Dynamis  system itself to except any communication devices.  sure would love to run the trains this way on my laptop and do those CV changes  i do admit i have a hard time changing them  on certain things.

question  does JMRI products work with dynamis  or do i need to look at another type of system later on down the road?   
        Dave

utdave

well there went that thinking.     ???     some of the down falls   with certian products verses others.    :-\

Dave

richg

The MRC DCC system is like that also. MRC has its own method.

Rich

Jerrys HO

Had to do a little searching for this but you can purchase the Digitrax PR3 and  download JMRI for free and program cv's.

Posted by rangerover1944
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,20196.0.html

Almost $100.00 for the PR3.. :P

Jerry

rogertra

I understand that JMRI will program ANY DCC equipped locomotive.  You do not connect JMRI to Dynamis or to any other DCC system.  You connect JMRI directly to your programming track and use JMRI alone to do the programming.  It works because DCC is a standardised system and JMRI can program any DCC locomotive.

If you have more than a couple of DCC locomotives, then the $100 or less for the JMRI USM to programming track adapter.

I'm waiting for mine as I type this.  I have, or will have, over 30 locomotives to program and I'll be blowed if I'm going to learn what all the CVs do.

Jerrys HO

Hunt
I don't know if this is true but go to 1:05 and it say's something about using your computer to run the trains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHpJ0xlE4ZU

I have no interest in this system as I would like to learn the process of setting cv's

Jerry

fm_tx

JMRI is software.  As such, it doesn't connect directly to anything.  You need a hardware interface between your computer and the track.  There are several options available.  The PR3 is one option.  I have successfully used it to program Tsunami's, but I know a lot of people have problems with them.   If I were starting over, I would look at other options besides the PR3.   I now use both an NCE Power-Cab via NCE-USB and the PR3 to control my layout via JMRI.

I use an NCE-USB interface connected to my computer to control the trains (JMRI throttles) and program decoders (JMRI DecoderPro).  I use the PR3 connected via USB to my computer  to provide a LocoNet bus for signals, etc. (JMRI PanelPro)

Paul

utdave

so if i was just to program   i can just buy a good interface   like a pr3 and use my program track  and do just fine.

now looking at ez command  throttle  if it hooked up to that  i could do as many addresses to locos.  thinking    more than 10 correct.         going through you tube i didnt find anything on ez command and JMRI  which i could stilll use the bachmann 5 amp booster.       if not more than 10 what a waste for that idea.   i keep at least 20 different addresses on my layout.     

i did like the idea of triggering actions on sounds   have all your throttles on the screen ( touch screen even better)  switch your switchs  and with a schedule to where the train goes to stop  then when to start up.    one of these days i get to move in a bigger home and im looking at the huge basement to build a layout that has different locations it goes to and come back to the main when unloaded or loaded.  the JMRI is looking like  the cats meow in dcc systems  ;D  put up some cameras  in cabs and on layout hook to pc internet  run my trains at work and i wont miss a load  everyone could choose a train to run on there home pc or i phone    call it train book   lol :)
DAve

Jerrys HO

QuoteJerry you seem to have gotten/formed an incomplete concept. The devil is in the details.

Hunt I am sure you have more experience in this than I do and I only want to be certain that what I read,( for my own basic knowledge) is correct so I don't mis- inform anyone.
From what I see all that is needed is a pc w/jmri, pr3, power supply, and track for programming.
Like I said I am not interested in this program just trying to help. I still would like to learn how to adjust cv's in detail with a nice command station.

http://jmri.sourceforge.net/help/en/html/hardware/loconet/PR3.shtml

Jerry

utdave

thanks  for all the replies      and i had a lesson on JMRI   and somewhat how it works.  in another post someone said somthing abount this system  i didnt know the name of it.   i saw it on a youtube but they didnt say what they were using.      im a notch smarter in the train hobby world.  ::)               

for a stand alone just to program and read CVs  you dont need a system  just there program and the PR3.

heres what it says
To use the PR3 programming track, connect the PR3 to its power supply and to a dedicated piece of track which you'll use as the programming track. Finally, connect a USB cable between the PR3 and your computer.

The PR3 does not necessarily provide reliable readback of CVs for some decoders, including many sound decoders, when the power supply is a 12VDC or 14VDC power supply. Some users repot that using a 18 VDC regulated power supply enables them to reliably read sound decoder CVs via the PR3 programming track.

i quess i need to get another 18volt dc cordless drill battery for my supply and the PR3 and the rest is easy    Dave

rogertra

Quote from: Hunt on January 08, 2013, 08:05:36 PM
Roger...  Look again. JMRI requires a PC and a supported DCC command station or a DCC programmer.

As the person requesting the info has a computer, I though there was no need to mention that.  :-)

I understood that you don't need anything other than the connection from your computer to your programming track as JMRI does all the programming of the CVs.  Your programming track can be in another room if you like.

Or have I got it wrong?

utdave

what a saw  on the digatrax site  all you needed was a PC,   power supply , track  , software JMRI,   and a decoder to play with.    under stand alone   to program your loco's.    the cost isnt that much to do right now.

if i wanted to use it to run trains  i would have to get another  dcc system  to run JMRI.  for now that wont happen  :'(  unless  Bachman finds a way you can connect to there system with another  box,  time for those engineers to get busy and find a good solution.  a peice between the the dynamis and pro  the triple decker  ;D

Dave

richg

Many new people do not realize, with DCC, Caveat emptor. Let the buyer beware.
I have seen this quite  few times in the different DCC forums I belong to. It is too easy to make assumptions.
Different companies have their reasons for going the way they do or we would need only one DCC company.
DCC is very new and continually evolving and I doubt it will come together like we would like. Even now, the are at least three new companies selling a digital controlled system for trains that is different than DCC. DCC is a trademarked term by the NMRA.
That is one of the reasons why I went with NCE.

Rich

Jerrys HO

Hunt

Thanks for clearing that up. This is one reason I try to stay with one manufacturer.
As for decoders, when I do get the time and a new controller,I am leaning towards the NCE cab and decoders. I wish Bachmann would offer a decoder with BEMF.
As far as sound, afew loco's with sound is ok but all of them too much.

Jerry

poliss

DCC is 22 years old this year, so not that new. There's a new DCC/computer system out this year. Cost around $140.00.
Wonder if Bachmann will follow suit and release their own system, as it's made by their biggest rival in the UK.