News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Spectrum NW J class 603

Started by RFE-Franklin, January 12, 2013, 11:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RFE-Franklin

Anyone I have just purchased a gorgeous NW 603.  I have a problem which needs some help.  The thing wont take a 22.5 degree curve without derailing the tender.  To me it seems that the design is either flawed or something else is going on but I can't figure it out.  It appears to me that the tender sits way to close to the Locomotive it's self when traversing curves.  Am I missing something that I should be doing to the Locomotive out of the box? 

r0bert

1) Did you take the packing foam out of the locos pilot and trailing trucks?
the foam is almost the same exact color as the loco and up under the cab,
and very easy to miss

2) is the dwawbar not seated properly, or otherwise holding up the front end of the tender even a little bit? if it is the front truck will not have solid contact with the rails and float off on the curves.
the drawbar is designed to extend in curves, and retract on straight track to improve appearances

utdave

this is what i look for frist    i ran a 4-8-4 for 3 months and it derailed one in  5 times around my layout    one day it fell on its side and then i noticed the foam moved out a bit  its hard to see.   that steam loco really started do alot better.    
now i check every new loco a little better and read that small piece of paper they put in the box you never know what they do to protect from damage       edited post     DAve

RFE-Franklin

Guys I checked for foam everywhere on this locomotive.  what I believe is going on is the drawbar is not extending in curves or is getting hung up on the little notches its suppose to move thru in the curves.  Anyone got any further suggestions?  lol.  I'm going nutts.

Stephen D. Richards

Is the wiring from the tender to the locomotive in a bind?  That will also cause the tender to "float " its front truck.  Stephen

RFE-Franklin

I have check the wiring and it seems to be out of the way of obstruction.  The tender and the locomotive are so close that you can actually see the both of them hit when it traverses a curve and then pop loose as it continues around the curve.  lol.

utdave

RFE      does it have a Y looking connector from loco to tender,  i bet it does   i was looking at mine and see your piont  roof hitting upper part on tender  whished mine just had a draw bar .    on my layout i dont have this issue i dont run longer steams in certian yard areas.  might want to increase the radius on your main line and  go to 26 or larger  if you use ez track .     i dont like the Y connector draw bar trying to put it togather  with 4 thumbs and a pinky and bad eyes isnt easy.   Dave

Doneldon

Quote from: utdave on January 13, 2013, 04:00:34 PM
RFE      does it have a Y looking connector from loco to tender,  i bet it does   i was looking at mine and see your piont  roof hitting upper part on tender  whished mine just had a draw bar .    on my layout i dont have this issue i dont run longer steams in certian yard areas.  might want to increase the radius on your main line and  go to 26 or larger  if you use ez track .     i dont like the Y connector draw bar trying to put it togather  with 4 thumbs and a pinky and bad eyes isnt easy.   Dave

utdave-

Practical note:

Start your response to a previous post after the end of the previous post and your response will stand out as a
response rather than as part of  that previous post. Compare this post to yours about three or four steps above.

-- D

utdave

Don somehow my frist post went wacky  just noticed that  didnt see it until now    Dave

RFE-Franklin

yeah it's got that wye looking drawbar which i believe is a total design flaw.  Should have stayed with the regular drawbar like my 763.  lol.  They never run like the real thing.  I ran the NW 765 and it runs better than mine. lol. At any rate I widened my curves and checked some switches and it appears just the smallest of uneven rail needs to be very smooth.  Well I have success but only in one direction.  One day at a time I guess.