News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

traction tires

Started by jerrymcc, January 13, 2013, 10:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerrymcc

My Northern 4-8-4 has started throwing off the rubber traction tires...Are these tires supposed to be "glued" or otherwise fixed in place?...This loco has very few running hours, is 3 years old, and runs only at Christmas...Tires do not seem to be dried out...

Mike C

This does happen sometimes, although I have never had the problem. One way to keep them on is to first put a little black paint into the groove, then slip the tire back on. This usually holds them on. Another thing, with locos that have tires , don't slide them on the rails when you re-rail then. Sometimes this will cause the tires to stretch.....Mike

railtwister

Also remember that oil and track cleaning fluids can adversely affect traction tires as well.

Bill in FtL

James in FL

Agreeing with both of the above.
Next time it throws the tire, swab the inside of the tire and also the wheel grove with some isopropyl and a Q-tip. After they are clean and dry, try a bit of paint as Mike says.
I don't ever slide a traction tired loke on, or along the track; it's just not good practice.
Sometimes they never fit back as well as they are intended, and you will have to replace.
I try to keep a small stock of the sizes I use/will need for years to come.  They are cheap enough.

Good luck