News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Bachmann Spectrum 2 truck Climax

Started by MP2626, January 13, 2013, 05:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MP2626

I have an HO Bachmann Spectrum 2 truck Climax.  Although I bought this loco 5-8 years ago, it has been run very little.  I have a medium sized layout and I doubt this loco has made 2 laps around the layout.  So, for all practical purposes, it is brand new.  I did, however, install a Digitrax DZ123 decoder in it.  I'm having a problem with this loco.  Both U-Joints at the trucks are popping off the trucks.  There is a very small detent that is supposed to lock the U-joint onto the truck and I'm finding this to pop off of both trucks. 

In talking with other owners of this locomotive, it is my understanding that this loco has been plagued with problems from it's going onto the market!

What are my options?  I would not consider selling this loco on Ebay or in any other way, with the problem it has!  Can it be repaired?  Can it be replaced?  I should think Bachmann would not want to have this locomotive out in the public, given its history and problems!

Doneldon

MP-

Bachmann's offer a life-time guarantee. Return it to them with
$25 and they'll either repair or replace your model. Take the
decoder out first because they won't transfer it to a different
loco if they must do a replacement.

-- D

WoundedBear

I'm in a similar situation.....I have one still new in box and the other has blown out the front driveshaft.

Beacause the model has been discontinued, Bachmann's answer at one time was to replace it with a Shay. That was something I wasn't readily willing to do. These 2 truck Climax models are absolute jewels when they run. I was hoping the three truck Climax would have interchangeable parts with the two truck model, but I have been told they don't. I'm unsure if NWSL has a fix.

I am just waiting until the time Bachmann releases the two truck model again then send it in for a repair or replace.....I don't care which, I just want my two trucker runnin' again....lol. My layout was designed to have one of these on it, and a three truck Shay or Climax just isn't a suitable substitute.

How about it Bachmann? Any future plans for the two truck Climax? Maybe you could confirm if the two and three truck parts interchange?

Sid

MP2626

I'm skeptical about spending another $25 bucks on the dang thing.  Luckly, in this instance, all I did to this loco is put a decoder in it.  Normally, I would have personalized it, added an engine crew, been weathered and decaled for my RR. 

Since at this time, Bachmann is only offering the three truck, is there anyway of they're being able to inform me of what they would do if I return it?

Tom M.

Make a telephone call to the Service depatment.  They will tell you what the replacement will be if repair is not possible.  When the motor and drive gears in my Shay broke, the replacement was a 3-truck Climax.  (If only the gears had failed, I would have replaced them with NWSL parts.  However, when the motor failed and it is not sold as a separate replacment part, that sealed the deal for me to return it for warranty replacement.)

Tom

Stephen D. Richards

I've had the same issue, only my motor quit as well!  I have three of the twp truck Climax and Two of them run great!  Bachmann will replae the Climax with a three truck Climax.  They do not have many if any parts for the two truck Climax.  Call them to make sure.  The three truck is a great little Climax though.  Stephen

MP2626

So, you guys are saying the Trree Truck Climax has a robustly built drive system that will not fail?  I don't want to put a bunch of work into a model only to have to send the thing back to the manufacturer because it stopped working!

richg

Quote from: MP2626 on January 14, 2013, 09:44:03 AM
So, you guys are saying the Trree Truck Climax has a robustly built drive system that will not fail?  I don't want to put a bunch of work into a model only to have to send the thing back to the manufacturer because it stopped working!

Look carefully at what they said. Bachmann will replace with a three truck. Nothing about a better drive.
The two truck is no longer made. Only the three truck now.
I belong to other forums. Some are having the three truck crack a gear or two.
Other than that issue, it is a very nice loco.

Rich

MP2626

Talked to Laura in Bachmann's Customer Service Department.  She said to go ahead and return my Two Truck Climax.  Sounds like they will exchange it for the new Three Truck Climax.  It appears that Bachmann is very interested in taking care of it's customers, which is very good news!  This one will run for several hours before I do any work on it.

Geared Steam

Sounds like NP has his problem solved.

NP,  I have a 2 year old 3T Climax, runs like a dream, and I use the heck out of it. No gear issues whatsoever. Bachmann corrected the issue before they released the 3T version.

Also I noticed some misinformation here.

1) The 3 truck Climax and the two truck Climax gears are interchangeable. And are available online in the parts department.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_68_153

2) The motor for the 3 Truck Shay is available, (but with chassis) , in the parts dept.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_92&products_id=1637

Geared steam is now an affordable option available to modelers thanks to Bachmann.

Tom M.

Geared Steam,

No misinformation about the motor.  You cannot purchase it separately.  Why would you think I'd pay $55 to get a replacement motor?  For example, you can get a replacement K4 motor for $18.  If the $18 motor option was available for the Shay, that's what I would have done.  $55 is a steep price to pay for a replacement motor identical to the one that just failed.  By the way, I had already replaced the Shay gears twice due to splitting, so I decided just to cut my losses with the loco and move on.

Tom

Speedbrake

i had the same problem last your with my very limited run 2-truck Climax. I sent it in to be fixed and was told they could no longer fix them. They sent me the new 3-truck climax to take its place. Although it isn't the quaint small size of he 2-truck...to get a newly developed and engineered 3-truck for my $25.00 was sweet! I even just want out and bought a second one with sound. They run GREAT!

Geared Steam

Quote from: Tom M. on January 15, 2013, 09:01:49 AM
Geared Steam,

No misinformation about the motor.  You cannot purchase it separately.  Why would you think I'd pay $55 to get a replacement motor?  For example, you can get a replacement K4 motor for $18.  If the $18 motor option was available for the Shay, that's what I would have done.  $55 is a steep price to pay for a replacement motor identical to the one that just failed.  By the way, I had already replaced the Shay gears twice due to splitting, so I decided just to cut my losses with the loco and move on.

Tom

A replacement motor is available.

Climax

I just sent in 4 Bachmann Specturm Climax's and two Spectrum Shays for the second time.  They were returned non repaired as I was told they will continue to self destruct in the gear system within 1 hours of operating.  This does not sound like a satisfactory answer to me to just ignore the problem.  The Bachmann Company in the USA is but a puppet of the Kader Company in China and basically we have an egg roll in our hands.  There is no fix so it is really a defective product, a lemon so to say.  They are all well beyond the 1 year warantee but I thought they had a life time repair capability, I was wrong.  There are no repair parts and even if they did put them in they would still self destruct in an hour or running.  So what's the answer besides leaving them as expensive but good looking scenery?  Can anyone help with where the gears are that supposedly self destruct and does NWSL sell replacement gears for this locomotive.  I can do the repair work if I know it will actually work.

Ken Huck