News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Steam Whistle Sound Kit

Started by Southern Comfort, January 13, 2013, 10:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southern Comfort

I would like to find and install in my G-Scale box car a battery operated (9v?) sound board with speaker that is activated with a remote switch (like a magnetic switch).  Can anyone lead me to a source for such a sound kit?

Thanks

Kevin Strong

How much ya wanna spend? The MyLocoSound boards are around $80, and offer a good analog chuff and a whistle triggerable via a magnet. Hyde-Out-Mountain also makes a very basic digital board that runs off of 4.5 volts. It's cheaper, but the sound quality is not the greatest. Dallee, RamTrak, and Innovative Train Technology (ITT) also have digital boards, though with the ITT and RamTrack products, you'll need an individual board for the bell, whistle, and chuff, which can get pricey fairly quickly. Dallee's a good digital board at $100, but it's not "polyphonic." When you blow the whistle or ring the bell, the chuff cuts out.

Later,

K

Southern Comfort

Kevin,

Thanks for the response.  However, I am only trying to find a steam whistle sound board that would work in the box car.  The train set I have already has the steam engine sound board installed in the coal tender.  

John

Kevin Strong

Just a whistle? Try RamTrack:

http://www.ramrcandramtrack.com/page2.html#SOUND2

They have two steam whistles; OB 72, and OB 80.

I haven't heard them specifically, but they are digital recordings of just the whistle, and can be triggered via track magnet. $40 each isn't too shabby...

Later,

K

Southern Comfort

Thanks Kevin, RCM was very helpful.