News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 2-4-4-2 minimum radius

Started by TimR, January 15, 2013, 12:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimR

Has anyone obtained the new 2-4-4-2 loco and have any opinion on minimum radius they might negotiate?

railexpert

Hello,

There is a list of minimum radius for On30 locos and cars from Professor Klyzlr.
The minimum radius for the 2-6-6-2 Mallet is 18''. For the 2-4-4-2 it would be the same.
See http://www.npcrr.net/On30/On30Loco_n_Car_Radius_pics.pdf

Railexpert

TimR

Thanks for the link RX! Good stuff. I'll bookmark the link and PDF the doc.

I'd like to see them go further and list practical and absolute maximum grades as well. I can start the ball rolling with the Rail Bus....Absolute maximum - dead flat. Practical maximum - well it works best going downhill.  ;)

dutchbuilder

It's the same as with my 2-6-6-2's.
Take out the steampipe at the front of the train , located under the smoke box and fix it to the front and snip of the connector to the smokebox.
Then you can run curves with a radius of 37.5 cm.
Ton

dutchbuilder

Update; 2-4-4-2's run unmodified on a radius of 14.8" without any problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB_hL4T0YpU

Ton

Stevelewis

I can  confirm  that a  2-4-4-2  will run on  what  we  call  R1  curves over  here!  Thats  around  14.75" radius

Actually  i know  of an 0n30 layout  with  a curve  of  around   13" radius  which  a 2-4-4-2  runs  happily  round

Incidentally  the 2-6-6-2s wil  negotiate 15"  so long  as the  track is  well laid  with no kinks!!
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

dutchbuilder

Steve, i have two 2-6-6-2's on my small radii layout running smoothly.
However i had to make some slight modifications.
see replies above.

Ton

DanB03867

I just got a 2-4-4-2 and on my layout I run mostly 0-4-2 Porters so my minimal radius is 10.5 inches.  I've run the Porters all the way down to 8 inch radius.  I have 18 and 22 inch radius curves on a couple spots on the layout.  I tried the 2-4-4-2 at slow speed through the layout, no problems on the 18 or 22 inch curves and was able to make one of the 10.5 radius curves and had trouble with the second 10.5 radius curve.  The second one was the last one put in and might not be as well laid as the first.  I'm going to redo it and see if that helps.
You may not have the same results as I did.