News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

my train won't work...

Started by rains train, August 14, 2007, 04:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rains train

Ok, so I've had my train for about a week now...and havent used it as much, and when I turn it on it will not work, so then I check everything in the manual, clean it, make sure everything is plugged in, and make sure that the wheels are on the track and the track is all carefully connected, and it still doesn't work...what should I do...? :-[

This is K-10's Modle Trains, AKA...best place in the world!

rains train

I really need help, I'm new to model railroading (you could probobly tell...) and I was just going to extange it, but what if this would happen again? Please, I need some opinions...

thirdrail

1. Take the train off the track.
2. Turn on the power to the track to maximum speed
3. Short out the power by placing s metal screwdriver on both terminal of the power pack for an instant. You should get a spark. If your power pack has a light, it should go on or off. (some go on with a short, some are on and go off)
4. If that worked, do the same with the track. If 3 worked and 4 didn't you have a bad connection. If neither worked, your power pack is not working.
5. If both worked, put the locomotive back on the track. Does it have a headlight? Does it light?

If it doesn't work, electricity is not getting from the wheels to the motor. The reason could vary by locomotive type and with the same type. best get a friend or dealer to look at it. It might be a 2 second fix. Have them show you what they did in case you have the same problem again.

jprince46

I did this one... got AC and DC wiring backwards....

AC for accessories
DC for track..

PRRThomas11

If its a steam loco check the wheels on the tender. Make sure that the shiny wheels are on the same side and that they are on the opposite side of the pick up wheels on the loco itself. It could also be that the leading or trailing wheels are short circuting the track. (If they are metal.) The same goes for any of your rolling stock. A couple of my cars do that.

(Is your engine steam or diesel?)
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World" 

rains train

it is diesel, and it is messing up a lot.. :-[

brokemoto

what diesel is it?  Is it part of a set?  Are you using B-mann E-Z TRAK or some other track?  Is it a B-mann power pack or a different one?  Which pack is it?

A little more information might help us to help you.

rains train

the set is b-mann e-z track "EXPLORER" with a Santa Fe diesel engine...it is...aEMDF9 diesel loco with all wheel drive and headlight/Santa Fe and E-Z track

PRRThomas11

Your best bet would be to bring it to a hobby shop that does repairs and have them take a look at it. It will definatly work if you leave it with a professional. It always works for me. ;D
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World" 

rains train

there arnt really any places selling "just trains" around here, i just went to a hobbie shop, and they have an ok variety....altho i dont think any of the workers know anything about model trains... :-\

conradin

I know what set it is.  I know Diesel pretty well.  You need to explain to me exactly what happened, and what have you done so far.  When you said you cleaned it, I need to know how, and where did you clear it?  What do you mean when it does not work?

Here is my way to diagnose it.

1.  Get a multimeter and check if the rails have electricity.  Make sure you clean the track first.  Start from the rerailer and go all the way around for the full circle.  Test for DC.  The explorer is a modern set so there is no way you can hook it up for AC.

2.  If there is no electricity, then first either it is the cab, or the adapter is the culprit.  Use the multimeter to test the adapter to see if there is any output.  If it does not, or insufficient, the adapter is to blame.   If adapter is fine, then test the cab.  Pull out your red wire slightly, and then test the red wire on its cab end.  Make sure the red wire is still plug into the cab.  If the output is not there, or insufficient, then it is the cab to blame.  If not, now test the red wire on the track end.  Pull out the red wire, and test it (the double female plug side).  If it does not have output, or inefficient, your red wire is faulty, if not...

3. Plug the red wire back into the rerailer.  Manipulate the double male tabs of the rerailer where you plug in the red wire.  In my experience most often than not this is the problem if the track has electrical problem.  Try plug the red wire from the opposite side of the rerailer input to see if this fix the problem.  Again keep manipulating the two tabs.  Keep your multimeter fixed to the track so you know if there is electricity. 

4. At this point you should be able to figure out whether there is something wrong from the adapter all the way to the track itself.

5.  Assume the track does receive electricity, then the problem is the loco.

6.  Put the loco back on the track, and then press it from side to side, in a diagonal fashion.  If the engine attempts to move, that means that it is a wheel gauge problem.  Use your fingers gently pull the wheels out just a little bit at a time, and put the train back on.  Keep doing it until all wheels are perfectly on the track.  It should run, if not...

7.  Turn the loco over, and press the contacts of the trucks towards the chassis.  There should be four contacts.   Put the loco back on the track, and gently press it against the track, see if it runs.  If it runs, then the problem is the loose contact.  You may want to use a tweezer or screw driver to manipulate the contact further to make it better.  If it still has problems...

8.  Take all the wheels off the trucks, then take the gears out of the trucks.  Examine and clean them if possible.  Put them back in.  If it runs then that means dirt is the problem, if not...

9.  Take the body off the loco.  This will reveal the split-chassis.  Examine the motor itself to see if the plastic wrap sits correctly so that the motor is not contacting the chassis itself, with the exception of its contacts.  If the plastic wrap is ok...

10. Get yourself a couple of wires.   Put one end to one rail, the other on the other rail, then have the wires contact the two opposite contacts of the motor directly.  If it does run..., see 11.  if it does not, see 12.

11.  Gently pull apart the split-chassis, but just by a millimeter, or less.  The reason why the engine does not run even though there is nothing wrong with the motor is that the split chassis was put together so closely that, somewhere they touch and create a short.  So just pull them slightly apart, that should solve the problem.  If it still does not run....

12.  Unscrew the screws that hold the chassis, and pull apart the chassis.
Take the motor out of the chassis.  Use wires to connect it directly to the track to see if it runs.  If it does not, the culprit is that you have a defective motor.  Call Bachmann for a replacement.  If not...

13.  Put the motor back in.  Examine the worms and the shafts.  Check whether they are connected correctly, and also see if there is dirt or too much grease inside.  If those are the problems, fix them accordingly by reassemble them correctly for the former, and dissemble it and totally clean it and degrease it before putting it back.  Gently greese it, before putting the entire loco together.

14. At this point all parts of the loco and the tracks have been checked.  If it still does not run, return the whole thing back to Bachmann.  I doubt you will reach this point if you have done the above carefully.

Good luck and keep us posted. ;D 

rains train

i cleaned the tracks thouroughly with cloth and cotten swabs, same with the engines wheels, i cleaned them all at my table(were i keep the set) and it sometimes just stops when it is running, and wont start up again for a few hours, or sometime i can give it a push and it will work, though, not as good.

rains train

and when it actually does work, i have to turn the dial to at least 60 to start it, and it goes really slow even then...

conradin

Sounds like it is contact then.
Pull the wheels out of the trucks, and pull the gears out.  Clean them *that* way.  Pay attention not just the wheeling part of the wheels, but the axles.
Clean the now empty trucks inside.

Now put the gears back, and put the wheels back to the truck, but don't push it all the way in. Just barely enough so that the engine barely can sit on the rails.  See if the engine will response.  Now keep pushing a tiny bit of the wheels towards the trucks until the wheels fit perfectly on the rails.

This should solve the problems.

PS. Are the tracks connect each other perfectly?