News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

my train won't work...

Started by rains train, August 14, 2007, 04:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rains train

Na....I really don't no how to change couplers...like I said...I'm the new guy lol

This is K-10's Modle Trains, AKA...best place in the world!

conradin

Strange...the F9 is the least problematic of all my engines.  It is very reliable.  You may also just go to Ebay and get yourself an F9 again.

brokemoto

Go the Favorite Spot e-Bay store and look at his auctions.  He has the SPECTRUM Fs in ATSF as well as other roads, and you will not have to pay fifty or sixty bananas for a pair.

The Sharks are even better than the SPECTRUM Fs, except they are not available in ATSF, because ATSF never had Baldwin Sharks.

If you like steam, I would also recommend the SPECTRUM 2-8-0.  This seller does not appear to have it in ATSF.  If you get the 2-8-0, it does require a long break-in period, but after the break-in, it is an excellent locomotive.

The SPECTRUM 4-8-2, with a minimum of tweaking, is also pretty good, but I doubt that it is going to like the nine-and-three-quarter curves of the trainset track.  The 2-8-0 will be allright on those curves.

The 2-6-6-2 will definitely be unhappy on those sharp curves.

If there are shows in your area, you can often find the SPECTRUM Fs and the 2-8-0 for a reasonable price. 

B-mann has also recently issued a Standard Line Fairbanks-Morse road switcher that runs well.  I do not know if it comes in ATSF.  ATSF had FM roadswitchers, but I do not know if it had this model.  The coupler on this one is not compatible with the Rapidos on your trainset, but if you plan to continue in this hobby, now might be the time to change everything to knuckle couplers.  They look and function better and the manufacturers are starting to get away from the Rapidos.  Any of the recent Atlas issues have knuckle couplers, as do the Kato, MicroTrains, Athearn and Intermountain (I may have left out one or two).

TrainWorld is a good place from which to get older items at a good price.  You can not order on-line, you must find what you want in the print catalogue or on the website and call.  I have had no problems with them.  If I call on Tuesday or Wednesday before One P.M., the package arrives UPS in Washington the next day.  TrainWorld is in New York City.  Some people find their telephone manners to be a bit coarse, but I lived in New York and I do not notice it, perhaps.

Atlas and Kato sell good power as does B-mann in its SPECTRUM line.  B-mann has recently made improvements to its Standard Line.  Walthers also sells good power; they recently took over the Life-Like line.  Life-Like split metal frame power is also good, and there is plenty of NOS out there at fire sale prices.  The FAs and FM cab units are excellent and will pull every piece of rolling stock that you own up a fifty per-cent grade.  Unfortunately for you, ATSF never had FAs or four axle FM cab units.  It did have Eries, and LL did issue ATSF Eries, but those six axle trucks will not like your nine and three quarter curves.  The large size of the Erie will also make it look rather silly on a nine and three quarter curve.

LL also sold metal frame GP-20s and GP-18s, but I do not know if ATSF ever had any of those.

LL sold some plastic frame power, some with flywheels, some without.  The latter were good for their time, but are now dated.  The former are good power for a good price, but again, they are PAs and E-units (passenger power).  They are large and have six axle trucks; your nine and three quarter curves could be a problem.  The PAs and Es did come in ATSF.

There, consider that.  Also consider buying some track that has a larger radius curve, if you have the space.  In addition, get away from that train set power pack as soon as you can.  MRC and Kato sell some good power packs.  B-mann used to sell a pretty good power pack, but I do not know if it still does. 

TrainWorld has the B-mann Fs for fifty bananas the A-B pair.  B-mann only sells them in pairs, so you can not buy just one unit.  That works out to twenty-five dollars per unit; not bad.  This is an safety net, if you will, in case you can not get what you want on e-Bay.  The Model Power FP-7 is not a bad runner, but its 1970s construction methods could cause problems down the road.  I understand that MP constructed it in this fashion  to keep down the cost while at the same time allowing for easy DCC conversion.  DCC may or may not be something in which you may or may not be interested at this point.  I do not know that ATSF ever had any FP-7s.  Generally, ATSF practice on four axle EMD passenger cab units was that the steam generator was in the B-units only.  As you will see, TrainWorld also has Intermountain and MicroTrains F-units.  They are expensive, but well worth the cost.

If F-units are what you must have, the best are the Katos, IMs and MTs.  MT has FTs, only, IM has the most variety and Katos do come in ATSF, but only in  one phase.  IM has a variety of phases of F-units.

rains train

yes, but all of the things he is sellng on ebay are auctions...I don't particually have the best of luck with those...

brokemoto

If you have a difficult time with auctions, this is what I would do.

Send the F-9 back to Bachpersonn and explain the problem.  Follow the instructions on the literature.  See what they send you in replacement.  If they send you another F-9 and it functions allright, then you are allright--for now.

If you decide to continue in this hobby, you will soon find that the Standard Line F-9 will no longer meet your needs.  There is much better power out there sold by B-mann and other manufacturers.  Go to a show and see what they have, or if a show is a difficult proposition, go to TrainWorld, modeltrainstuff.com (M.B. Klein) or any of the other e-Tailers that the people on this forum might recommend and buy some better power.  If you see something that you like and are not sure if you should buy it, ask here.  It is likely that more than one person here has the item in question and can tell you all about it.

I understand how you feel about buying the train set and having the locomotive turn out to be an underachiever.  I got back into this hobby because one Christmas I received a LL N scale train set.  It had an 0-6-0T locomotive in it.  I took the thing out on Christmas Day and the rods fell off the locomotive before I could get it onto the track.  Oddly enough, someone at LL answered the 800 number on Christmas Day and told me what to do, which I did.  In replacement, I received a Mehano FA-whatever.  Anyone who has been around a while will tell you that the replacement was worse that the original.  Still, it did not discourage me; I was able to see the Mehano for what it was.  Instead of trashing the thing, I went out and bought an Atlas/Kato GP-9.  That fixed most of the problems.

If you plan to stay around, you will want to upgrade, anyhow.  The SPECTRUM F-7s are an allright first step up.  The sharks or SPECTRUM 2-8-0 are an even better step up.

rains train

are the spectrum SD45's good? I found some on the internet for around 70 bucks, and i want to stay with this hobbie, and i like that model of train, i also like the 8-40C's (not wide cab) are both of those any good?

rains train

P.S. you probobly already know this, but just incase, the 8-40C's and the SD45's (spectrum's) are DCC ready

Franz T

To answer your question, yes, the Spectrum SD-45's are excellent. The overall quality of N scale has dramatically improved over the last 10-15 years. Even the latest Standard Line from B,mann runs very well. Trainsets have always been inexpensive (read: low end) entries into the hobby. You will find a considerable difference between your F-9 and the Spectrum F7.  BTW, the SD-45 is an easy conversion to knuckle couplers when you decide to do what 80% of us do: convert to MT's for reliability and realism. ;)
I would avoid e-bay; you can find dependable service and excellent prices fro established on-line dealers. To name a few I use: Brooklyn Locomotive Works (http://www.blwnscale.com) , MB Klein (http://www.modeltrainstuff.com), Toy Train Heaven (http://www.toytrainheaven.com) and Standard Hobby Supply (http://wwwstandardhobby.com). You can also e-mail Al DeLia of Eastern Classic (ECMR1@aol.com) and ask him to put you on his N-scale  mailing list. Big Al has very low prices and is a very nice guy to to business with (I should know, he got a few Grand of my money over the years ;D ;D)
Above all, don't let a bad experience with an entry level trainset discourage you from the hobby. as I said in several previous posts, I would send the bad loco back to Bachmann, they will fix it for you.

Have Fun!!

Franz T

Franz T

Let me add one thing: You asked about the Dash 8's. (8-40C)  They are also excellent. However, you should know that Bachmann updated these models a few years ago, the new ones are MUCH better. The old ones are also Spectrum line, but come in a hinged box inside a cardboard sleeve, The new ones come in a larger clear plastic box. Bachmann did NOT change model numbers between production runs. That is why I don't like e-bay, too many crooks out there. A reputable dealer will sell you current production or will tell you if he isn't..

Franz T

rains train

ya, i saw um on a website called "internettrains.com"

Guilford Guy

Atlas or Kato diesels are much better in my humble opinion. I know this is a Bachmann board but an Atlas will last you a lifetime.
Alex

rains train

ya, but i don't know how to change couplers...

rains train

also, what all do you need to make a dcc ready train make sounds and stuff...?

Guilford Guy

Buy a sound decoder from http://www.tonystrains.com . I think they make a plug and play one. If its plug and play insert it into the DCC socket. If not u need to hardwire it into the loco. Since your in the beginning stages, you may want to consider HO. It usually has a little better detail, More locos are made in this scale, it is easier to hand being larger, and is easier to isntall sound or DCC, or find a sound equipped locomotive.
Alex

rains train

ya, HO, but the thing is, i tried HO, and i don't have enough room for it  :-\ thats why i decided to go with n scale  :D but i don't see how to hotwire a train...oh well, i'll figure out if/when i get one