News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum HO J 4-8-4

Started by Pacific Northern, January 21, 2013, 09:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

I was given one of the Spectrum J 4-8-4 engines for Christmas. The engine is the DCC with Sound version.

Other than a short run in to check it out I have not had the engine on the layout.

I will eventually obtain some N&W passenger cars and then rotate it on my layout.

When I was recently  cruising some of the model railroading web sites I came across some remarks about this engine.

The remarks to say the least were not very good. Is the Spectrum J steam engine a problem engine and one to stay away from.

Hopefully that is not the case, it sure is a striking looking engine.

Do any of the members of this site have one, and if so what do you think of it.

Do these engine run well or not
Pacific Northern

Doneldon

PacNo-

I have one and it has been without problems. There do seem to be some occasional disappointments with Bachmann Northerns
but this is a pretty reliable locomotive from my experience. I'm aware that you're a regular on this site so I suggest that you think
back to how many negative comments you've seen here. I'll bet it won't seem like a frequent thing.

-- D

bobwrgt

I have one of the non-sound versions and have had no problems with it. They do like 22in radius track.
Bob

Pacific Northern

Thanks for the response. Yes you are so right that on occasion Bachmann does get bad remarks which often are not deserved and many seem to dwell in the past. I have a number of Spectrum locomotives that I am very happy with, did have a few with problems but Bachmann made good on those. Unlike Walthers which did not stand behind the product once the short warranty is up.

AS to the Spectrun J, there has not been much discussion, just wanted to check with someone who has the engine, I think they look terrific and if they run as good as my other Spectrums I will be a happy camper, if not, then will have to deal with Bachmann.

The main problem was with the unusual drawbar on this engine. The complaints were mainly to do with problems keeping the tender on the track as the drawbar seeme to pull the tender off the rails. Many made a new drawbar to replace the original drawbar.

Thanks again, for the quick comments

Pacific Northern

MPSOUTHERN

I purchased one with sound a few years ago,loco#606,item#83902.It looks and sounds great,but is very,very weak,did not even have enough power to slip the drivers.Sent the J to Bachmann serv. dept. with note saying motor too weak.They replaced it with another one but it had the same problem as well.Of the twenty Bachmann steamers I have,the J with sound is the only one with this problem. 

r0bert

Quote from: MPSOUTHERN on January 25, 2013, 06:31:49 AM
I purchased one with sound a few years ago,loco#606,item#83902.It looks and sounds great,but is very,very weak,did not even have enough power to slip the drivers.Sent the J to Bachmann serv. dept. with note saying motor too weak.They replaced it with another one but it had the same problem as well.Of the twenty Bachmann steamers I have,the J with sound is the only one with this problem.  
the problem is not the loco, but the settings in the tsunami decoder for BEMF and torque compensation, which are way off.
If you search the archives here, you should be able to find the thread(s).
here,
i looked one up for you
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,13847.0.html

MPSOUTHERN

Thanks rObert for the info.I will try the CV changes and see how that does.

MPSOUTHERN

rObert,J works much better now.Just needs fine tuning.Thanks again.