News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

loco lengths

Started by gcodori, August 15, 2007, 01:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcodori

I am wondering if anyone can contribute loco and tender lengths - in order to confirm which locomotives will fit on an HO scale Atlas turntable.

This turntable seems to be the most popular choice for most layouts due to the price.

I have been told that the Bachmann Consol can not fit on this turntable...is this true?

Can we start a list of confirmed locos that will fit this turntable?  Lets keep this list growing as new locos are released as well.

djp

Are you talking about the 9" turntable? If you are, then not many locos fit on them. I have it on my layout and any loco longer than 7.5" tripping pin to tripping pin will not fit. So far these are the loco's that fit on it.

1] EMD GP40
2] EMD GP50
3] GE  70 Tonner

LOL my steam engines just go flying across it. Forget about spinning them round.
Get Off My Train !!!

SteamGene

I just did a rapid and not very accurate measurement of the locos on my layout.
Pilot wheel to trailing tender wheel the Spectrum Consolidation with as delivered tender is nine inches long. 
Pilot to tender rear:
USRA light Mike, USRA tender:  10"
   "       "    Mallet,  "        "     :  12"
   "     heavy Santa Fe, "  "     :  12"  (P2K)
C&O J2 (USRA hvy Mt, 16V T :  13"
IHC Hudson w Vandy             :  13" 

So of six steamers sitting in staging, only one would fit on the Atlas turntable.   I'm sure that my 0-6-0s and 0-8-0s would fit on it, but none of them are on the layout.  That turntable also has the problem of having a deck, which is rare in the US. though I'm told it's common in Canada.  It also has indexing which fits only the Atlas roundhouse, or so I'm told.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

gcodori

how about the spectrum 4-6-0 ?

Also, at 9", will the connie fit?  Does anyone know if the atlas measurement is of the bridge or of the entire length (bridge + "pit")?

It's a shame that the next level up in turntables will cost you an arm and a leg.

I may end up bashing the turntable for added length, and perhaps dropping the pit down for a more US appearance.

Len

The 9" length is the rails. It was designed to replace a 9" straight section of Snap-Track.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

SteamGene

It may JUST fit the Spectrum Consolidation.  I don't have a Ten Wheeler, so I have no idea if it will fit.   If you want to contact me by e-mail, I may have one that will work for you.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

djp

If you do increase the length of the turntable please let me know how you do it. I would love to make my turntablea wee bit bigger to so that i could atleast put my Mantua 2-6-6-2 on it.
Get Off My Train !!!

gcodori

you can simply sink the atlas TT into the benchwork and build a new bridge over the existing one.  It can be any length you want but remember that longer bridges will have bigger track seperation from the pit.  The indexing stays the same.

I believe there was an article in MR years ago describing this method.

kevin2083

the walthers 90 ft turntable will hold locos up to the size of an IHC mike, unsure of the length. Ive seen it for around $25.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

djp

Hi gcodori, is it possible to post that link of the MR article? Would appreciate it very much. Thanks.
Get Off My Train !!!

japasha

For the Atlas 9" turntable, the Bachman 4-4-0, 4-6-0 (low driver) Consolidation, and the non-spectrum 4-4-0, 2-6-2, 060 will fit as well as most diesels. Mantua 2-6-6-2 T, 0-6-0, 2-6-2 and 0-4-0 fit easily. Most smaller steam locomotives will fit.  Medium sized and larger do not.

ray46

Try these sites:

simplytrains.com/pages/hints&tips/turntable/turntable2.htm

2guyzandsumtrains.com/Content/pa=showpage/pid=11.html

Try googleing things like, model railroad turntables.  I seem to remember some site that shows how to expand the atlas turntable.

Ray
"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy."  The Eagles

ryeguyisme

or you could do what I did and make a pit-like look to it

ryeguyisme