News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New NW 4-8-4 non DCC

Started by trains4me, April 09, 2013, 08:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trains4me

I purchased a few months ago an NW 4-8-4 82155 that runs OK.  However it has a jack rabbit start and the motor wines.  I am not having any problems of it staying on the track as long as I keep the turning radius above 11".  The loco does not seam to have a very fast top end and the low end is not as slow as the Katos that I have. 

Do I need to lub the worm gear?  Bachmann tells me that it will not heart but it appears that taking apart the steam engine to get to the worm gear may be challenging.  Does any one have any advice as to how to proceed?  Are there any tips that would be helpful?  Maybe I am trying to get more out of the steam engine than it was designed for.  Should I just leave it alone?

Mike C

Run it around on you're track in both directions for a couple hours. That usually helps to get locos to run better. As far as oil goes Bachmann locos usually come pretty well oiled, but you can carefully remove the bottom cover on the loco and put a drop or two on the gears. The oil will make it up to the worm by itself. If you can see a slot with a gear on the bottom of the loco you can add the oil there and you won't have to take the cover off.....Mike

trains4me

Thanks Mike for the advice.  I do not think I have a couple of hours on the steam engine, however I will put more time in it.  Bachmann suggested that I add light grease. I did removed the cover from the bottom and add a little oil that I had at the time.    Since I have already added oil should I just run the engine in both directions for a couple hours or add the grease and then run?

Trains4me

Mike C

Don't add any more oil. Too much oil is just as bad as not enough. Too much oil will leak out all over the track making for poor electrical contact, not to mention it will be slippery. LOL  I would just give it some time to run -in . Do you know about how old this loco is? Does it have the wires between the loco and tender.  This site http://spookshow.net/classj.html will tell you just about everything you might want to know about these locos. The newer ones are supposed to run real well. Its always possible though that you got a lemmon......mike

trains4me

Thanks again Mike.  Yes you are correct about the oil.  I have already committed that sin.  Yes there are between 4 to 6 wires going to the tender.  The Loco is DCC ready so I believe it is a late model.  I will follow up with the run in for a few hours as you suggested.  As far as it being a lemon I am not sure.  It just does not run like the Kato's. 

Trains4me

skipgear

If you are comparing it to a Kato diesel, don't. Kato diesels are geared much too fast. The Bachmann steam loco is geared closer to scale speed. They use more of the throttle range to run, although they should start up by about a 1/4 throttle or so. If you are running it wide open, then you are going to hear a lot of motor whine. Remember, even that J class was running out of steam at 100 mph. I think the model maxes out at around 80-90mph.  An average Kato diesel, if opened up is running over 200 scale mile per hour.

You may have just gotten your first lesson in scale speed.

Jack rabbit starts makes it sound like there is a bind in the mechanism. Loosen the screws that hold the gear plate over the drivers about an 1/8 turn and see if that free's things up.

As mentioned above, there is no replacment for a good break in. There are a lot of moving parts that need to work well together so it takes time for them to polish in and mate sometimes. Some of my best running steamers are approaching the 100 hour mark.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

trains4me

Thanks Tony.  I will put some time on the steam engine as all of you suggested.  I was able to established the manufactured date.  It was built in 2009.  So it appears to be of the latest design.  All in all I am happy with the product.  I was under the impression that all flywheeled engines run smooth like the Kato's.  I do not own any Kato's steam engines yet.  Are they of the same quality as the diesels?