25 year old this year.. Bachmann Big Haulers

Started by gardendepot, February 02, 2013, 02:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gardendepot

Well, Happy 25 years Bachmann Big Haulers.. We need to see something special for this line this year.. How about an upgrade to Annie's Tender or make her DCC ready or New Paint jobs.. Well, Here is to another 25 years!!!

Joe Zullo

I think you may have jumped the gun on the silver anniversary of the Big Haulers.

Here is a quote from Wikipedia.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachmann_Industries

"Big Haulers

In 1990 Bachmann started to produce large scale train sets called the Big Haulers. These G scale models include trains, shays, and also streetcars. Their most famous line is the Emmett Kelly Jr. circus trains, introduced in 1993."

That would make 2015 the Big Hauler silver anniversary.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

From the Big Haulers List from Bill Canelos:

90100*   ATSF   Big Hauler RC 27 mhz   1989

Annie introduction discussion:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,10934.0.html

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Barry BBT

I bought my battery powered Big Hauler from Toys R Us for $39.95 with a yellow Gondola and a Bobber caboose.  That was in December of 1988 and I still have the loco, but it ruins a lot better now, it's on it's third repower  and one more to go.

Barry
There are no dumb questions.

Tony Walsham

I also bought one earlier in 1988 on a visit to the USA.  Had to pay full MSRP as that was before dealers started discounting them.  

That they have morphed into the Annie of today is simply amazing.
To celebrate the anniversary I would like to see upgraded electronics fitted to make them easier to convert to DCC or battery R/C use.  A Plug'n'Play socket would be the way to go.
That would turn an excellent loco into a fantastic on.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

Joe Zullo

Now hold on. The Anniversary (Annie) version was introduced in late 2000 to commemorate the 10 year anniversary of the Big Hauler line. Let me see....2000-10=1990. Not 1988. What gives?

gardendepot

I remember in 1988 the RC set with the green Santa Fe Loco, Yellow flat car, Bobber Caboose, It also came with telephone poles and coaling tower. There is a video on the 4-6-0 on youtube that states that the loco was first made in 1988 and how it changed over the years to what it is today (or the one just before the last upgrade). It shows the RC Loco on the video and one of the new loco's of the past few years.. So that would make it 25 years of them being in the G scale market.. That same year the spectrum line came on the market, in HO scale only. So it to would be 25 years old this year. So lets see a Spectrum 4-6-0 Annie limited edition, now that would be great!!! Painted in the green D&RG like the K-27, With DCC ready and Sound, Upgraded Tender with a real wood load and maybe a matching upgraded bobber caboose.. :D

gardendepot

Also please note that in the post about" lost your instructions of your big hauler set" in the forum, there is one reply about the set being reviewed in Model Railroad Craftsman on Nov. 1988 issue. Now that would make it 25 years old, but here is where I think people might be thinking but I'm not for sure, was the loco only sold in sets from 1988 to 1990 in a RC version only and in 1990 the loco was sold by it's self but with track powered? This would change the dates on the loco but not on the big hauler line.... Help us "Bachmann" Help!!!

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi All,  

I will give a  more definitive answer when I get home later this week as it is somewhat of convoluted story and I do not trust my old memory any more without looking at my actual references and notes.

This much I can say for sure, You cannot believe either Wikipedia or youtube, they have never verified their facts or given references that are correct.  Wikipedia in their listing cites the 1990 catalog as verification of their claim, but I guarantee you I have the 1989 catalog in hard copy which they never mention. as for you tube, they can be pretty off the cuff as well, although I do not recall ever seeing the you tube mentioned.

I also bought the 90100 set in late December 1988 on sale for $35 as a clearance item. I got mine at K-Mart, but it was distributed to many similar stores.  

Kinda like 2013 model new cars are sold in November 2012.

Many years ago when talking to some of the old timers at Bachmann, they indicated that they considered it a 1989 model set. They were never considered to be "model trains" and the r/c sets were meant to be mass market toys, much like New Bright and Buddy L toy G Scale trains are today.  At the time I don't believe Bachamnn really understood what they were starting.  As for the electric 4-6-0 sets, well Lee Riley told me they were 1989 models just 3 weeks ago he claimed over 1 million 4-6-0's have been sold, but since Bachmann never kept records of production, I don't think we will ever really know.

I will tell the Annie story as well, which includes the introduction of the Version 5 chassis.  

This is a list I did in 2008 If you read it readm all the posts because I made some corrections:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,7151.0.html

You will note that I listed the old R/C sets as 1989, because that is what Bachmann said they were even though I bought mine in late 1988.

So if you go by when you could buy one 1988, then 2013 is correct, if you go by what the guys that made them back them it would be next year 2014. 

In my own mind I think it is up to Bachmann to decide which year is the Anniversary year. 

Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

gardendepot

Hi Bill, The video on youtube I'm stating this from is a Bachmann Video about the 4-6-0 Loco, History, Care of, the Model... It is like the DVD you would get when you purchase the loco and it states the first year was 1988 and shows the first loco and moves on to the last version of the model made. It has 2 parts on youtube you have to watch.. Check it out.. Can't wait to see what you find out on this matter... :)

charon

Joe,
Am looking at my instruction manual dated 1988.  On the cover is printed "Bachmann's Big Hauler Electric Train Set".  I bought two of them in 1988, still have one and it runs fine.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Joe Zullo

As quoted earlier from the Bachmann website, they themselves say the Big Haulers were introduced in 1990. The Annie was introduced in 2000 to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the Big Hauler 4-6-0. Who are we to argue with the company that produces them? I would say that the company statement is the "official" version. I'm sure they themselves will announce the 25th anniversary in 2015. 

Loco Bill Canelos

Quote from: Hunt on February 03, 2013, 12:41:48 AM
::)

Bachmann introduced its premium Spectrum® line in 1988 ...

In 1990, Bachmann created the Big Haulers™ line in Large Scale

Quote from History of Bachmann Industries --- Click Here to read.

Bachmann did not produce large Scale Spectrum locomotives until much later than 1988, The Spectrum referred to in the Bachmann history was I believe referring to other scales.

As for the 25th Anniversary well I have to go with Bachamnn on that it is their company and their decision.

While I mean no offense to anyone at Bachamnn the statement that the Big Haulers were introduced in 1990 is definitely incorrect in the Bachmann History stated on this site, and most likely a Typo or put in by someone who looked at Wikipedia and believed it to be correct.  I have tried to get that corrected in the past with no success.

Again I will have more to say when I return home later this week.   

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Kevin Strong

It was definitely late 80s when the R/C Big Hauler sets first came out. I was still in high school when they were introduced. My guess would be that the "1990" reference would be to when the 4-6-0 was available by itself in its electrified version, or perhaps when the "Big Hauler" line came into its own beyond just the R/C sets. The Jan-Feb '90 issue of GR has a new product announcement for Bachmann's trolley, billboard reefers, and tank cars. (The announcement mentions Bachmann expanding its large scale line-up "in a big way.") Unfortunately my 1988 - 1990 volumes of GR were lost in one of my moves, so I can't be more definitive than that as to when they were introduced. The same issue has an article on kitbashing a Bachmann bobber caboose into an odometer car.

Besides, it could be a first for large scale... if the Big Hauler 4-6-0 was introduced for 1990, but arrived on store shelves in 1988, it might be the ONLY time a large scale manufacturer was actually EARLY with a product.  ;D

Later,

K

Tony Walsham

The battery powered Radio Controlled train set, "THE BIG HAULER", was first advertised in GR on page # 5 of the May-June 1988 issue.
End of argument.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).