25 year old this year.. Bachmann Big Haulers

Started by gardendepot, February 02, 2013, 02:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Zullo

Tony,

The company says 1990, so they are not celebrating the 25th anniversary this year. They could be wrong, but it's their company, no matter what is said here!

Tony Walsham

The fact is that they advertised the product in 1988 as THE BIG HAULER in the May-June issue of GR.
If Bachmann wish to interpret their product history without qualifying it, such as the first track powered Big Hauler, then that is their right.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi All, 

Please allow me the chance to get home later in the week and I will be able to get my hands on all my resources and documentation, at that point I will give what I have to the forum and to the Yardmaster.  This will give him time to look into the company records as well.  I am sure when all is said and done corrections to the Bachmann History online will be made as appropriate. I will make the necessary corrections to Wikipedia, and will cite specific references and documentation. As always all input is appreciated along with specific references such as magazine ads to include page numbers and the like.  Specific documentation is essential, but he says, she says, and memories are not always totally acceptable.  If you bought the product and have the receipt which indicates the specific purchase then this is the best documentation other than magazine ads.  Errors occur all the time, even in print magazines and the manufacturers own catalogs.  We have seen this in the past.

It does little good to argue about who is right or wrong, it is best to refer to specific documentation.   New information with documentation can come up at anytime, which can change the whole game.

As of right now, I can assure you that the Wikipedia info is definitely wrong and the online history is also wrong for whatever reason.

Please submit any specific documentation you can!!! Even better photograph it and include a link to it if you can so that all can see what you have..

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Tony Walsham

Bill,
After the page # 5 full page ad in May - June issue of GR, Bachmann ran the same full page ad for at least the next three issues.
I bought my THE BIG HAULER battery R/C set from a hobby shop in LA during a visit to the USA for the 1988 Garden Railway and Narrow Gauge Conventions. Unfortunately I cannot remember off hand the name of the hobby shop.
Tony Walsham

Barry BBT

Along with the Tenth Anniversary Model announcement, it was added that Bachmann had sold one million Big Haulers to that time.

I was thinking like Tony, just ignor the battery models and count from the first track powered versions.

Barry
There are no dumb questions.

Loco Bill Canelos

Tony,

I will not be home til Friday and I am not sure I have that issue of GR, Can you take a photo and post it or a link to it please?

Thanks, Bill

Why do all the fun threads come up while I am away from home!!!

Barry,
I feel it is up to Bachmann to decide and I will reserve my personal judgment until I get back home.  Bill

the Bach-man

Dear All,
If I remember correctly, the first Big Haulers were announced in 1988, the year I began working with Mr. Riley, and shown in Nuremberg in 1989.  The first track powered units arrived in 1990.
We've come a long way!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Kevin Strong

QuoteWe've come a long way!
Looking at the C-19, and comparing it to the first 4-6-0, that pretty much goes without saying! So, what can we expect in another 25 years? (Though I do fully expect to still be waiting for a plastic EBT mike... but maybe an M-1?)

In all seriousness, where do we think we'll see the next "great improvement" in terms of our models? It will be interesting to see how 3D printing and rapid prototyping will change manufacturing. We're already seeing "print on demand" Nn3 models. I'm also envisioning on-board microprocessors that can be programmed with some kind of open-source programming language for throttle, sound, and control giving the modeler the ability to choose his own control method without the need for any kind of rewiring.

Later,

K

Tony Walsham

Once  upon a time all am stick radio TX's would work with any brand of am RX.  Not any more now 2.4 Ghz is here.  None of the different brands of 2.4 GHz R/C are compatible with one another.  In fact commonality of stick radios R/C is further away than it ever was.
I doubt very much a new, different from what there is already control and sound system, would ever be accepted by the market place.
It would be like MTH DCS being adopted instead of DCC and made compulsory.
It just isn't going to happen.
Tony Walsham

Kevin Strong

Not sure I'm quite so pessimistic. When I look at everything that can now be done via iPhone, tablet, etc., I can't see any reason why not to expect that technology to work its way to the model railroading sector. (It's already there to a small extent. DCC guys are using iPhone interfaces as throttles.) Think of putting an Intel chip on every locomotive with an open-source OS like Linux or similar. Instead of buying a QSI hardware/software combination and having to wire it in, your on-board computer is already set up and ready to go, with connections to the motor, smoke, and individual lights already hard-wired. You need only load the appropriate software to make the locomotive go. The software could be freeware (traditional analog DC) or proprietary QSI, RCS, etc. There's already some really cool stuff being done with some of the DIY microprocessors on the market--stuff that's way over my head to understand the "how" of the process, but the "what" is exciting! Who knows where that's going to lead us...

Later,

K

bob kaplan

In all seriousness, Kevin.....i hope that something from the East Broad Top makes its way into the Bachmann catalog.  They already have a Mike, a big engine, ...but i would certainly welcome #12 on my layout.....if it could make it around LGB's 16000.  i have been hinting (probably a bit too strongly ...hummmm is there a pun in there?) for EBT's #11.  There were not many of them around...only one....but the 2-6-2 arrangement was found on other narrow gauge lines...most notably the 2 footers in Maine.  It would find it easier getting around the 16000 curves that i have.  By the way.....the C-19 is a beauty....and seems to perform very well.   i hope that i can get sound in it.
bob

P.S.  Will the Broadtop be running steam this summer?

Hunt

See bottom right page 176 of the printed Bachmann Trains 2013 Catalog.

gardendepot

In the 2013 Bachmann Catalog it does state on the first few pages that the Big Hauler line is 25 years on in 2013. I wish they would have did a new annie just for this year...

Loco Bill Canelos

It is definitely the 25th Anniversary of the Big Hauler line which started with the Radio Controlled Big Hauler sets in 1988.  Now that I am home I have verified from hard copy print evidence and photos that show the sets were labeled as Big Haulers when they came out in 1988. 

I am trying to get together a short history of the seven known radio controlled sets made By Bachmann, and as soon as I get a chance I will post it. It all started with the Big Hauler Set 90100. 

smcgill

I have one with the # 90102F for Franks nursery (long Gone) :-[
Close 
Who has one with the # 90100  ???
Sean