News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Smoke Units

Started by M1FredQ, February 02, 2013, 02:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M1FredQ

What is the optimum amount of "smoke drops" to be placed in the smoke unit without smothering it??

Also is there an on/off swithch??

I just received a Berkshire Santa Fe Steamer and I think WBB has a nice realistic unit

and the true Blast 2 is nice sounding also.

Good job WBB

Also I noticed the headlight is nice and bright!!!!!!!!!!

phillyreading

If I am correct the instruction sheet says to add four drops of fluid to the smoke unit via the smoke stack.
Have not seen the new steam engines with smoke to say if they have an on/off switch or not.

The S-2 steam engine that I have does not smoke well and I will probally un-hook at the circuit board to turn it off. It's a Williams before Bachmann, runs great and pulls about 26 freight cars, but the smoke unit is something else as it just don't work.

Lee F.

M1FredQ

Are they replaceable with the newer ones WBB seems to be using !!!!!!!!!

phillyreading

Quote from: M1FredQ on February 03, 2013, 11:58:13 PM
Are they replaceable with the newer ones WBB seems to be using !!!!!!!!!
They should be replaceable with the new smoke units Bachmann is using in the Williams. I don't think that Bachmann has changed the styling of the steam engine shells as that would cost money for re-tooling.

Lee F.

Hi FredQ,

You can order a replacement smoke unit from the on site parts section...'small size' 8 volt...price $20.00.

Before you order a new unit, try putting the loco into neutral, run the track voltage up to12volts, observe how it smokes, if at all. If good, you do not need a new smoker.

If you change out the smoke unit, it is held in place with 'Hot Glue' sometimes the tip of the hot soldering iron can help loosen the glue. Keep in mind that the Smoke stack top protruding from the boiler body is also 'Hot Glued' in. The smoker unit and the stack may come out together.
          The smoker needs the voltage regulator to receive approx. 10-12 volts. This allows for voltage loss due to the electronics. 8 volts of track voltage will produce about 6 volts from the smoker circuit. This will under power the smoker for a poor smoke output.
           The loco runs very fast at 10-12 track volts. I have solved this problem using the ' Joe Satnik' rectifier voltage reduction to the electric motor. Check the posts for mine and Joe's detailed action to be taken.

Keep on Smokin'...671

M1FredQ

Thanks everyone!

I'll do it and get back