ON30 Bachmann Steam Locomotive Pulling Power

Started by rbarclayr, January 31, 2013, 06:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbarclayr

I'm sure this question has been answered several times over the years. Do the motors in current 4-4-0, 2-6-0, 4-6-0 and 2-8-0 models all have the same pulling power with regard to rolling stock? Does anyone have an estimate as to how many cars a single locomotive can pull up a 4% grade without losing speed? If I double head (use two locomotives) would that double the number of cars? I am just starting on a new ON30 layout for the first time.

Thanks for the feed back... Ron

Royce Wilson

I am no way an expert on model trains, but if you could eliminate those steep grades it would extend the life of any engnie you use.These are not steam engines but electric motors and they do tend to heat up.

Royce

ChrisS

my 2-8-0's will pull at least 10 cars up my 4% grade and while double heading them easily 16 cars, i dont know if you could say it will pull double, but its a longer train than prototypically would happens.

Sparks65

Prorotype D&RGW C-21 class outside-frame Consolidations (#360 & 361) were reportedly rated at four loaded high-side coal gondolas + a "long" 0500-class caboose on 4% grades.  On the Crested Butte branch, there were curves and frequent precipitation on the rails to make for tough pulling uphill.  Check the Crystal River book for more back-story on the power of these locomotives.  The Bachmann engine has many similarities to the C-21, though it is a scaled-down version.  Motor overload issues aside, my preference would be to double or triple the hill with those 16 cars in the interest of more prototypical operation.  More fun, anyway.

As for the 4-4-0s, mine will start six coaches on tangent track with no signs of overheating.  But any grade really cuts the load capability before slipping occurs.  This is prototypical, too.  Remember when the E&P Eureka ran on the Silverton Branch a while back?  She was maxed out at one Jackson and Sharp coach and one "short" caboose on the steeper sections she attempted.

rbarclayr

My thanks to Royce, ChrisS and Sparks65 for your feedback. You have been quite a help, and gave me exactly what I was looking for. If you have something to add to their feedback, please do. But wait... there is more

I am in a very unusual situation compared to most who model railroads... the Nevada County Narrow Gauge (NCNG) Railroad is part of my family history... my great grandfather was vice president and often roadmaster of the NCNG. The NCNG had problems with time if you can imagine on just a 25 mile, narrow gauge line, and as the railroad crested the late 1800's, a name was coined for its letters, "Never Come, Never Go."

The NCNG often double headed because the Baldwin 4-4-0's and Baldwin 2-6-0's could only handle so much freight by themselves, and there was a long uphill climb from Colfax where the road linkined into the Southern Pacific yards, to the rail heads in Grass Valley and Nevada City. It wasn't until Baldwin 2-8-0 consolidations were purchased by the NCNG that one steam locomotive could handle the whole train by itself.

You might think that my life-long desire has been to model the NCNG, but you would actually be wrong. There is another one in my personal history as well... the Virginia and Truckee Railroad. Carson City to Virginia City... I have driven every foot of the V&T several times. I could still walk it today, and I would still feel the V&T inside me if you can understand that. Parts of it have been restored for tourists, but much still lies there for serious 4-wheelers to discover, just like the pony express, and morman trails. I have explored those as well.

Is it the V&T or NCNG? Well, the V&T lost the coin flip so it will be the NCNG.

Royce Wilson

Don't feel bad,my father was a traveling engineer for the ICG R.R.(GM&O)but I think inmy 60 years I have modeled most of the railroads in Colorado. ::)

Royce Wilson

rbarclayr

I live 1/4 mile from the beginning of the massive, Union Pacific switching yards at Roseville, CA. If I should something to model when it comes to rail yards, I am just a short walk away.