Opinion of using Bachmann's Dynamis system for small 1 or 2 engine layout

Started by Artfull Dodger, February 06, 2013, 09:07:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artfull Dodger

Opinions please on using Bachmann's Dynamis DCC system for a small layout.  Will only be operated by myself, no one else.  1 or 2 locomotives only on the layout.  Will just be 1 right now.  I ask as I can pick one up fairly cheap.  I know there is little love for this system in the modeler at large population.  I used to have NCE, it was a nice system as well.  I do not care for Digitrax at all.  Thought this time about keeping the control and motive power all Bachmann.  Anybody using this system on thier On30 or other scale layout and can comment what they like and dislike?   Thanks in advance.     Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

Artfull Dodger

The Euro connection is probably why I like it.  I had a nice Marklin layout for awhile using thier Marklin Systems and the hand held controler was similar. I know this system isnt liked for its expandablity, but for my small layout, I think it will fit the bill and give me wireless for the same price as a teathered NCE Powercab.   Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

TimR

I have a Dynamis for a small layout. I sometimes get 3 or 4 engines running at the same time, but typically only 1 or 2. Has never been a problem with power. I like it quite well and it suits my needs just fine. When I want to fine tune a CV for some reason, I use my Digitrax PR3 and JMRI software. With the deals you can get on a Dynamis, it offers good wireless control at a very reasonable price point.  8)

railtwister

A very active On30 module group in Texas has been happily using the Bachmann EZ-Command system to run their layout when they set it up at train shows for many years now, and they seem quite happy with it. The Dynamis has more capability than the EZC, plus offers wireless infra-red walk around control, so I would think that it would be just fine for a home layout, especially when augmented with a PC, programming interface, and DecoderPro to handle the programming. The idea that the average home layout needs the biggest and most powerful DCC system is really overkill.

Bill in FtL

Stevelewis

I use  a dynamis  mainly   just  for  programming  these  days,  the  main drawback  is the  Infra  Red system,  it  has to  be pointed at its  receiver ( Like a TV  remote  control) , it is  easy to forget  that  fact  when controlling  trains!

Wheras a Radio Controlled system   doesnt have to be 'pointed' at the  receiver.

STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

Burlington Route

I'm using my dynamis for our currant carpet layout and she does well with multiple engines in On30....I've got the 2-6-6-2, the davenport, railbus and trailer and a running On30 diesel chassis{still making the new body}. I don't have the booster and mine is a regular version- not the Probox.