who here would buy a D&RGW prototype engine if Bachmann produced one?

Started by Artfull Dodger, February 07, 2013, 07:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artfull Dodger

I am curious here who would sign up and order a D&RGW prototype engine if Bachmann made one.  Say a T-12 using a modified ETWNC chassis with new boiler, or a K class using the pre exhisting 2-8-0 drive system as a basis.  BLI has the C16 covered, along with AMS/Accucraft.  I would rather see a K28 or K36 if it was done.  More of those still running but my bet is on a K27 as Bachmann seems to follow what they have done in other scales.  So a K27 or C19 would seem logical.  Or do we think Bachmann will let BLI, MMI ect handle the Colorado stuff and go with an eastern 2-8-2 EBT engine?  I am sure any of the above would be welcomed with welcome arms.  I do feel if On30 is going to start getting taken more seriously, then some prototype engines need to get produced and less of the obscure and oddball.  The mallets are nice but of odd prototypes.   How about some  known versions like Rayonier, or Weyerhauser, Sierra RR ect.  Bachmann has the lead position in this scale, others are even slower to bring out items and many modelers I have spoke dont take the scale seriously due to the engines produced.  I can get past the 6" narrower gauge differance from On3, but we need some well known engines along the lines of the Tweetsie ten wheeler.   Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

Kevin Strong

The big problem with doing the Ks in On30 is--literally--the "big" problem. These locos already have quite a bit of overhang at the prototypical 3' gauge. Narrowing that to 30" may just look bad from an aesthetic standpoint--especially the K-36 and -37, which top out at over 10' wide! A 6" difference in gauge may not be all that aesthetically noticeable on a relatively "small" loco like a Tweetsie 4-6-0, C-19, etc--these guys were only 8' wide. Adding 2 scale feet (1/2") in the width of the model may make it look like a monorail!

It also seems to me that the majority of the rolling stock Bachmann makes for On30 is on the shorter end of the spectrum in terms of prototypical length. Speaking for my own experiences in 1:20.3, the shorter, smaller equipment is dwarfed by my K-27. Yeah, it's prototypical, but for some strange reason we model railroaders are far more concerned with a sense of aesthetic balance between loco and train than the prototype was.

Not saying it wouldn't be cool (and would almost by definition have to be easily re-guagable to proper 3' gauge if they didn't want pitchforks and torches in front of their offices), but I'd not hold my breath, either.

Later,

K

Artfull Dodger

Thats why I added with MMI doing most of the K classes, we probably wouldnt see that.  But its a hop skip and jump to turn the Connie into a C25 or C21, the basis is there.  Broadway does a nice C16 that only needs a bit of extra detailing. A C19 would be nice.  With the blind center drivers it handles 18" radius ok, looks better on 22 or 24.  A K doesnt look bad on On30 if the rolling stock is of the prototypes they pulled.  They were big engines and did tower over some of the smaller D&RGW rolling stock, they had to be big to climb up thru the passes, otherwise the Rio Grande would have never go much larger than the C class 2-8-0's  I would actualy swap my new Climax and Backwoods 3rd truck kit for another BLI C16 if it was 268 in the bee colors.   Mike

Tomcat

As Mike said, a C-21 and a C-25 is a easy conversion. I did three - the two C-21 No. 360 and 361 plus the C-25 No. 375 and I´m just about to do another C-25 as I wanted to have one with the more recent livery, green plus scenic herald on the tender. Bachmann could have done this themselves. The 2-8-0´s are perfect bases for the 2-21 and C-25.

A reliable K-27 would be the right thing. As would be a RGS No.74 and her sisters without Walschaert´s gear as they had been running on the C&S.

Or-speaking D&RGW wise: On30 versions of the C-19s in Fn3! And a K-27 in D&RGW and RGS after wreck!
The C-18 would have appeal too! Think of the 315. Some folks like to have models of engines still alive!!!

Heck, did I say "RGS 20" yet. A snap from a Bachmann Tweetsie engine...

I have some, I run them with AMS/Accucraft, San Juan and scratchbuild D&RGW cars and they look just... Awesome

Bachmann folks, you have done great to pick some D&RGW/RGS prototypes for Fn3...
What about us here in On30 (although I have a RGS 455 here in Fn3 just to admire...)

Kind regards
Tom ;) ;) ;)

Artfull Dodger

Hey Tom, how bout some pics of your c21 and c25 conversions?  I would really like to see how they came out.  Bachmann has several easy new models here, and of engines that still exhist or operate.  Sounds like a no brainer, which is why it wont get done. They will continute to bring out odd prototypes and critters.  But one can dream I guess.   MIke

JerryB

I can not imagine anyone thinking that a large standard gauge locomotive like the Weyerhaeuser Timber Company #4 / Sierra Railroad #38 Mallet would be a candidate for modeling in 0n30. Even less chance that any company would try to build and sell it.

I do agree with Kevin as to size, although I am in the 'railroad equipment came in a wide variety of sizes (Not Scales!)' camp. I think the tendency to think all equipment should be the same 'size' (usually meaning height) is due to looking at modern day railroads where all the equipment is built to a semi-common standard loading gauge (meaning width & height).

I've seen several large scale model railroads where the builder has combined models from 1:32, 1:29, 1:24 and / or 1:20 scales to get the cars to look the same size in a train. One I know of runs a 1:20 scale B'mann 4-4-0 with some Aristo old-time shorty passenger cars claiming that the available 1:20 scale passenger cars are just "too tall." I showed him a pix of the prototype Eureka pulling a car or two and he was totally surprised at the fact that the car towers over the Eureka. He even suggested that the photo was somehow doctored or distorted!

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Royce Wilson

I sure would like to see the RGS 20 made.It use to be the most popular ten wheeler to model next to the  D&RGW T-12.

Royce Wilson

mmiller

I would love to buy one or two Bachmann On30 T-12s or F&CC (RGS) 4-6-0s...but I'm not gunna hold my breath  :-\

(and as nice as the ET&WNC 4-6-0 looks, it is about 10-20% larger than almost all the other narrow gauge 4-6-0's. My 4-6-0 actually is a touch taller at the cab than my MMI K-27. And the 1:22.5 4-6-0 make a much better 1:20.3 model of the SP 4-6-0's...)
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

ryeguyisme

If bachmann went off and started producing the K- class mikado's, I would be in trouble with my wallet. That would be my start into On30, I haven't made the dive yet because the forney and the connie just isn't enough for me to make that leap yet...

Of course I do want to see pictures of the C-21's and C-25's

I will eventually own a O 2-rail M-75 and an L-77... eventually...

Tomcat

I did convert a Tweetsie tenwheeler into a RGS 20. Easy job.

I´m just making another C-25 conversion, using more brass parts than I did before. PSC has a lot of fitting parts which will make a more accurate No. 375.

But heck; I can´t add photos here, it doesn´t work!
BUT: Here´s a link, which hopefully will work:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35618074@N07/4413032301/in/set-72157622239964938

Cheers, Tom

ebtbob

In response to the comment about the size of the K27 in On30,  I have enclosed a picture of my K27s flanked by two Bachmann On30 engines.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Royce Wilson

I want to purchase a ET&WNC 4-6-0 for a conversion to the RGS but all the pictures of this model seem as if the engine is taking a nose dive.Can this be corrected?

Royce

az2rail

I already have quite a few of MMI"s k series engines, so I doubt that I would buy one from Bachmann. But, I am all for a c-21 and c-25.
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Dusten Barefoot

I would if it were a 19th century c-16 locomotive, not the D&RGW modified version. I am talking fresh out of the factory.

Rock On!
~Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten