News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

plastisc glue??

Started by union pacific 844, February 06, 2013, 03:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlington Route

Quote from: Desertdweller on February 06, 2013, 06:46:47 PM
I had an unfortunate experience gluing sheets of styrene together with the thin liquid solvent.  For some reason, the solvent wouldn't dry when in between the sheets, and left a depressed pattern on the outside of the sheets mirroring the pattern of the applied solvent.  Maybe it would have helped if I had let the solvent mostly dry before putting the pieces together.

Les

Les, when gluing small pieces I found that the liquid, brush on, type is fine...but for large sheets, like doing a cab roof laminate, I grab the tube type and dot it all around, then compress and let dry. That liquid stuff works well but can only wick in just so far.....
I like weldon or tenax.

railtwister

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on February 06, 2013, 04:03:54 PM
EBTnut;
I have seen that written in directions as standard fare on a lot of adhesives.   It should be pretty obvious that anything as volatile as Tenax, Testors, etc, should be read up on thoroughly.  There is a product called "Barge Cement" that I have seen advertised pretty much exclusively in Central Valley's catalogue.  What has been your experience with this compound?  I am proceeding to laying track per CVT system, and this product is supposed to be used.
Rich C.

Guys,

Barge Cement is a cobbler's contact adhesive commonly used in shoe repair, probably not unlike Walthers' "GOO" (at least I have used GOO to fix my shoes!).

Bill in FtL