News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ground cover

Started by union pacific 844, February 10, 2013, 01:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

union pacific 844

what ground cover is the best for a temporary layout ? is there some thing better then a green sheet that is a dust magnet 

sd24b

Quote from: union pacific 844 on February 10, 2013, 01:08:07 PM
what ground cover is the best for a temporary layout ? is there some thing better then a green sheet that is a dust magnet 
obtain kalmbach's scenery book.  also a current walther's catalog would be advisable.  There is no best for anything in this hobby.  what works for me may not work for you.  experiment. 

RAM

I would think a flat green paint would look as good, if not better than those green sheets.  Then you could paint roads and dirt fields.  After all you said it was temporary.

union pacific 844

i what some thing i can reuse  on my next layout like some thing i can roll up and put it away

Doneldon

844-

It depends on what you mean by "temporary." If it's "something that we'll fold up and slide under the bed or hoist to the ceiling of the garage," there's no reason not to do final landscaping with ground foam and the whole smear. If it's "take the track apart and put all of the rolling stock back in the boxes," then no landscaping or a simple piece of grass cloth which can be rolled up might be in order. If it's "take the trains and tall stuff off so we can lean the table against the wall," then a painted surface, grass cloth or even full ground foam might be in order. And it also depends on just what you are hoping to do. Keep the landscaping simple if you just want a basic or impressionistic background for the trains. Go for real landscaping if the plan is to incorporate a realistic train table into a realistic expanded layout later. Plus, think about what you want to do at this point: get the trains rolling yesterday or having the landscaping (whatever it is) completed before you lay track and run trains.

Like everything else with model railroading, my advice, or anyone's advice, is meaningless. Remember the prime directive of model
railroading: It's your railroad and you can do anything you want. Accordingly, my advice wasn't actually intended to be advice. Rather, I'm
just hoping to help you decide what's right for your railroad. Only you are the expert on what to do.

- -D