News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas1911's Shay Project

Started by Thomas1911, February 15, 2013, 02:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Haven't chimed in on this one, yet.  I was going to wait until the end.  But it's getting exciting.

Can't wait to see the completed loco.  Nice!

How will the turning radius be?

Regards,

Jonathan

Thomas1911

Thanks Jonathan.  I designed the trucks to run on an 18"R, which is the smallest I plan to use on my logging lines.

Thomas1911

Getting closer, a little more work done fitting the water tank and coal bunker.  This is going to take a little more work than I initially thought.  The water tank is slightly narrower and slightly taller than the coal bunker.  The height issue is easy enough to solve with a shim, but not sure what to do about the width other than blend with some filler after joining.  Would mean redoing much, if not all, of the rivet details on the sides.  Also, the water tank walls are quite a bit thicker than the coal bunker, so will have to thin them down to reinforce the splice, at least with the way I see in my head.

WoundedBear

Looking good man. ;D

I would try to laminate some styrene to the sides to get the width corrected, then redo the rivets. Looks like that Micro-Mark order may come sooner than later, huh? I think this would look better than the putty route.....but you decide. So far your choices have led you in the right direction.

Sid

BaltoOhioRRfan

Been keeping a close eye on this built. Looks good.'

You gonna put toolboxes on the front deck?
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Thomas1911

Quote from: WoundedBear on April 29, 2013, 12:45:30 PM
Looking good man. ;D

I would try to laminate some styrene to the sides to get the width corrected, then redo the rivets. Looks like that Micro-Mark order may come sooner than later, huh? I think this would look better than the putty route.....but you decide. So far your choices have led you in the right direction.

Sid

That's an idea, Sid.  The coal bunker is only .014" wider (.007" per side) than the water tank.  I think the thinnest styrene sheet I've seen available is .010", might be a little difficult to work that down evenly.  I was thinking after I joined the halves together, I would use some glazing putty or body filler to build up a gentle transition at the joint and sand it smooth.  Definitely going to need to place that Micro-mark order soon.

Quote from: BaltoOhioRRfan on April 29, 2013, 04:23:01 PM
Been keeping a close eye on this built. Looks good.'

You gonna put toolboxes on the front deck?

Yup.  Planning to do a toolbox or two and probably some loose tools (axes, saws, shovels, etc.) and some coils of chokers.  Have to wait and see exactly what there is room for.

Doneldon

Quote from: Thomas1911 on April 30, 2013, 01:45:33 AM
Planning to do a toolbox or two and probably some loose tools (axes, saws, shovels, etc.) and some coils of chokers.  Have to wait and see exactly what there is room for.

T1911-

Just because there might be room for a bunch of tools doesn't mean you have to put a
bunch of tools there. Sometimes less is more. Thanks, Mies.
                                                                                            -- D

Thomas1911

Good point, D.  It's all just ideas floating around in my head at this point still.

Thomas1911

Sorry guys, not much to report as far as progress over the last month, tender body still in two pieces.  Been busy with the usual spring house/yard work and whatnot.  Though I was able to order a decoder last week and it came in the mail today.  Going to try and get it installed this week and send this thing on its maiden trip around the layout.  Will see if I can't get some video to show this thing in action soon.

WoundedBear

It will be interesting to see how much this thing is able to pull. Got a fish scale?

Sid

Thomas1911

No, I don't unfortunately.  Micro-mark has a digital scale that's been on my "To-Buy" list, hasn't been a priority though.

My estimate is that it will be less than that of the 3-truck being that the 3rd axles don't bear any weight.  Probably around 2/3 to 3/4, depending on how much weight I can cram in it.

Thomas1911

Finished decoder installation last night.  Made a test run on the layout to check functions, ran and tracked well.  Need to adjust some CV's and clean track, then work on that video.  Stay tuned.

Thomas1911

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG8tmeIzurk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Video as promised, let's see how this works.  First time doing any kind of video editing and first time uploading anything to youtube.  29 years old and just now losing my youtube v-card.

Recorded and edited the video on my phone, may try it again on the computer later on.

EDIT:

This video is a little less janky.  Same as the other minus the pass by at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8UflW4x54A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

jonathan

Great work.  Looks like it's running fine.  You have some great patience working with all that tiny gear work.

Nice solid benchwork and trackwork, too.

Now slap some scenery on that wood!   ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

Thomas1911

Thanks Jonathan.

Scenery will come.  Been hesitant to start until I'm sure I don't want to change any more trackwork or anything.  Time and money better spent on other things at this point I feel.