Bachmann On30 Davenport cogwheel replacement?????

Started by Traunbahn, February 16, 2013, 06:17:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traunbahn

Dear Members!

I have some troubles with a few of the axle-cogwheels of some of my On30 Davenports. Three of these axle-cogwheels broke in the past on hardly unused models. It must be a problem of the plastics. So in these 3 models one axle is driven by an undemaged cogwheel and on the second one, I removed the broken one and these axles are only driven by the siderods. A solution, not the best, but better than with a broken cogwheel.

Now I wonder about a change of the missing/broken cogwheels against another ones, maybe a brassmade. Does anyone of you have done something similar and where can I get an exact fitting new cogwheel? I dont have any dimension-dates to look for fitting ones on www.

I tried many ways to get new wheelsets from Bachmann but without any success.

Gradeful for any tip and idea...............

Traunbahn

CNE Runner

I have one of those On30 Davenports myself and your comments gave me concern (when will the gearing on my locomotive fail?). I know that Northwest Shortline makes gears for many locomotives. I do not, however, know if they make one for the Davenport. Northwest Shortline's website is:
This is a very reputable company and may have an answer to your problem. Good luck and please get back to us with your results.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Traunbahn

Hello Ray!

Maybe, I have the solution to replace the broken cogwheels. After measuring the demaged cogwheel, I found out that it is a cogwheel of the metric Modul 0.4 with 14 teeth. In the www I found brassmade ones and cogwheels made in syntetic material as well, both in the correct dimensions outside but all with a too small hole in the middle. The Bachmann-locomotive has axles of 3mm diameter, the cogwheel-holes are 2mm.

So it will become necessary to built a little fastening-equipment for my turning-lathe to drill in an exact 3mm hole.

The syntetic cogwheels are offered from the German model-producer WEINERT (#9617) and cost about 1,50 Euros (for 2 cogwheels in a package). Similar brass-wheels, you can get at about 1.- Euro (pp) (for example from LEMO-SOLAR Germany). There, the axle-holes must be drilled to 3mm also.

The 3rd possibility is to order brass-cogwheels at a firm that produces the cogweels on request. Here you can get them with the correct diameter inside but if you order
only 10 - 20 pices, two cogwheels cost hardly the same than a new locomotive. Forget it!

I will try to take the way of Weinert cogwheels. I will order one in the next days. If it will be successful to repair the Davenports, I will inform you.

Best regards from Austria
Herwig ("Traunbahn")

CNE Runner

Excellent Herwig...it sounds like you have a plan. Properly secured, I do not think it will be too hard to drill out that center shaft hole another 1 mm. I do see why it would be very expensive to order gears from Northwest Short Line and have them shipped to Austria. I will appreciate hearing of your progress.

Cheers,
Ray
Alabama, USA

robinstrains

Hi good folks, I'm new here. I had the same problem with a split gear on the axel. After many months of looking and searching I called NWSL and I got myself a gear to replace the split one.
Here are the details of the package.
NWSL  Part # 2281- 6.
14 Tooth Gear.
0.4x14 Tooth SG x 6.5mm ODx3.0mm face x 3.0mm bore.
Fits CB Orion NYC S-3 Electric.
Now we can now say it also fits the On30 Davenport.
It cost US $15, shipping was extra. Let me say this my little loco runs quite well, I am thinking of replacing the non split gear as I don't trust it.
Hope this helps us all.
Robin.

LBS

Hi from the UK,
I have the same problem on my Davenports,There is a model helicopter company called E-Flite use these brass gears on there choppers but the gears have got a 2mm hole,you will need to check the web who's got them in stock,These a model shop in the Czech Republic who makes plastic type gears,www.pojezdy.eu.
Hoping this mite help Mike,

CNE Runner

Thank you for the information Robin...we are all in your debt. I haven't run my On30 Davenport more than 10 minutes; and most of that time was on rollers - hence I haven't experienced any perceptible gear problems as of yet...time will tell.

More to the point is why Bachmann continues to produce products with an obvious defect? It would seem that a company as large as Kader (owners of Bachmann Trains) could easily replace those [seemingly] defective plastic gears with brass ones. In volume I can't imagine the brass gearing adding much to the price of the model. I guess there isn't much we modelers can do about corporate policy.

Again, thanks for the post. I made notes on the NWSL gearing and placed it in the Davenport's papers.

Regards,
Ray

Biglars

The gear issue has prompted this request on line.
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/888/384/236/open-letter-to-bachmann-regarding-their-on30-products/
A lot of people love Bachmann's products but just want them to run.

CNE Runner

I checked out the petition regarding Bachmann gears as Biglars suggested. Frankly I am reluctant to provide my all my personal contact information to an unknown source. Furthermore, I think others feel the same way...hence only 200+ petitioners.

Gear issues, in Bachmann locomotives, are a serious quality concern that must be addressed if the company wants to retain their position in the industry (and I have no doubt that they do). Third party providers of replacement gears should only be necessary for those older models - produced before improved metal gears were installed at the factory.

The Chinese are very clever businessman; and I am sure they will look very closely at this recurring problem.

Regards,
Ray