what roundhouse will work with Bachmann's EZ track Turntable?

Started by gardendepot, February 17, 2013, 11:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balrog21

I agree, a different colored version would be nice..and jeez I looked up the new walthers 90' DCC one and it's aaaaakkkk 350.00...surely it can't cost that much to make one of these things...

Jhanecker2

If you are going to  buy a Walthers  Turntable  you might as well get the larger one they are both the same price.     And yes they  don't cost anywhere near $  350.00  to manufacture . Checkout where they are built . J2.

gardendepot

The problem with the walthers turntable is it takes up so much space, I need a small like the bachmann, but not as small as a atlas turntable, that 1" more on the bachmann one does make a big difference when it comes to small steam and diesels locomotives. I like the look of a pit on the bachmann one also, the atlas one looks like the type you would see inside of a enclosed roundhouse with a solid wood top. But still need a roundhouse that will line up with the degree of the legs that come off the turntable, without a kitbash job.. Bachmann please help with this!!!! ;D

rogertra

Quote from: Balrog21 on February 21, 2013, 01:11:52 AM
I agree, a different colored version would be nice..and jeez I looked up the new walthers 90' DCC one and it's aaaaakkkk 350.00...surely it can't cost that much to make one of these things...

I just purchased another one.  Sadly, my older pre-DCC Walthers TT burnt a proprietary chip and they don't make them anymore.  Result?  Shell out $350.00 for a new turntable.  :-(

But of course, you get what you pay for. 

Walthers?  A realistic, self-indexing, programable, DCC ready turntable.

Cheaper ones?  Well, you get what you pay for.

jward

you get what you pay for? yep that sure is true.......

my atlas tt may be ugly, but it's never failed in all the year i had it. no proprietary chip involved, so no need to pay for another one.

if i had a to replace a $350 piece of equipment because of a chip, it's be a long cold day before i ever bought another one of that type. one wonders why a turntable needs a proprietary chip to begin with. the drive control circuit doesn't need to be complicated.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ryeguyisme

Quote from: rogertra on February 22, 2013, 03:43:38 AM

I just purchased another one.  Sadly, my older pre-DCC Walthers TT burnt a proprietary chip and they don't make them anymore.  Result?  Shell out $350.00 for a new turntable.  :-(

you still have the old one? I might be able to use it!

rogertra

Quote from: ryeguyisme on February 22, 2013, 06:41:32 PM
Quote from: rogertra on February 22, 2013, 03:43:38 AM

you still have the old one? I might be able to use it!

Sorry, I'm going to use it as a hand powered or kitbashed and powered at the end of an as yet un-built branch terminal.  Otherwise it would have been free for the postage.

ryeguyisme

I have an unpowered walther's 120'  that I put together from a bridge that a member here gave to me and I ordered a pit from walthers and yanked the electronics out of the bridge and made it manual and I love it. Saved me a boatload of money and I got what I needed. The unpowered 90 footer I have was known for bad pits, and mine was annoying me, so I'm thinking of making it a hillside turntable where part of it is in ground and part of it is hanging of a trestle.

rogertra

Quote from: ryeguyisme on February 23, 2013, 10:05:52 AM
I have an unpowered walther's 120'  that I put together from a bridge that a member here gave to me and I ordered a pit from walthers and yanked the electronics out of the bridge and made it manual and I love it. Saved me a boatload of money and I got what I needed. The unpowered 90 footer I have was known for bad pits, and mine was annoying me, so I'm thinking of making it a hillside turntable where part of it is in ground and part of it is hanging of a trestle.

That's because you purchased or used that cheap and nasty kit that Walthers offered.  So bad, that none of the hobby magazines ever reviewed the kit because they probably couldn't put a positive spin (pun intended) on a major advertiser's product.

You know never to fully trust any review in the model railroad press that reviews a major advertiser's product, don't you?

ryeguyisme

I stick to trial and error, but I will say at least i have a bridge for the hillside turntable, gotta start somewhere, I might just cut half the pit out and start from there, that way I can still use the rail

jward

have you ever considered mounting the turntable bridge on an atlas turntable? you'd have to do some mods on the turntable drive, like finding a way to move the motor unit back out of the way. but it would at least give you a reliable mechanism that is self indexing every 15 degrees.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

rye-

You can "submerge" the Atlas turntable into your layout, motor and all, to use it with the bridge you have. You can also use a single gear the size of the one which contacts the turntable's gear to move the motor farther away for more clearance. That would reverse the direction of movement when you use the controller but you can correct for that by reversing the leads to the turntable motor.

-- D

Terry Toenges

When I was doing my layout, I started scratch building a roundhouse to use with the Atlas turntable. Part of it had to do available space. I just used longer tracks with slight curves coming off the turntable into the roundhouse. That way I cold make the stalls parallel and keep the size smaller.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.