How do I run my E7 AA B&O diesels on a block control track?

Started by binh_bill, February 19, 2013, 06:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binh_bill

I run my Lionel engines by placing the E unit switch in the forward position and the engines always start "forward".  My Bachman diesels will always start forward if there is a few second delay in their stop.  But if the train in the block ahead clears the block just an instant after the Bauchman engine stops energizing the track too quickly, the Bauchman engine goes into "neutral".  How do I or is there a way to always make my Bauchman engine start in forward even if there is only a 1 second delay in power???

binh bill,

Hi, 671 here. You did not indicate how your block system is wired/workings.
I am taking a "Leap of faith" on this to help you with your challenge. I will assume that the lead train jumps the two outside insulated rails. This opens the following trains circuit through the use of a double pole double throw relay. When the lead train travels far enough ahead, the following trains relay returns to normal run mode. This action energizes the center rail to allow that train to run. If this is correct than this very simple change may solve your challenge.

Instead of the relay totally de-energize the center rail. have that open throw on your relay have the same track power, switched by the relay, travel through a 12-14volt light bulb. The result should be a stalled or very slow moving train. The light bulb will be acting as a resistor reducing substantially the power to the following train's engine. It should "Hold" the electronic E-unit into it's forward mode.
You could actually use that lighted up bulb as a block indicator on your control panel.

This is what I would do...671
Anyother questions, feel free to ask!

GG1onFordsDTandI

Do your blocks totally kill power to your engines? If so reducing voltage on the block to slow rather than stop engines might work out for you. My grandfathers blocks all had large resistors to slow the locos down but they never stopped.

P.S. this sentence is somewhat confusing
Quote from: binh_bill on February 19, 2013, 06:10:23 PM
But if the train in the block ahead clears the block just an instant after the Bauchman engine stops energizing the track too quickly, the Bauchman engine goes into "neutral".
or check this out
http://www.williamstrains.com/HTML/Instruct-Lockout.htm

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

You could put the put the train in a forward-only mode by this brute force method:

Add a Diode bridge to the track pickups (red to ~ , and black to the other ~), and

connect bridge + to the yellow motor wires, and bridge - to the blue motor wires. (All blue and yellow wires disconnected from reverser board.)

If you wanted to get fancier, you could

add 1 or 2 DPDT switches.   

Back of DPDT(1) switch: (Chooses Electronic Reverse Board output or Bridge output)
1 2 
3 4
5 6

1. Bridge + output
2. Bridge - output
3. output1 +
4. output1 -
5. reverse board pin 4 of 4 pin socket
6. reverse board pin 1 of 4 pin socket

Back of DPDT(2) switch: (Chooses starting direction - useful for back-to-back lash-ups.)

1 2
3 4
5 6

1. output 1+
2. output 1-
3. output to two motor yellow wires
4. output to two motor blue wires
5. output 1-
6 output 1+

Since the direction (back-to-back vs. elephant style lash-up) won't be changed often, DPDT 2 could be replaced with a 2 conductor polarity-reversible connector set (plug, socket).

An example; a non-grounded (2 pin) 120V plug can be plugged in either direction into a wall socket (if both blades are the same height = non-polarized).

If you wanted a neutral, (parked on an energized siding, loco lights on), either DPDT could be a "center-off" type switch.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

binh_bill

I received 4 really good replys and will try them until I find the one that works the best for me.  Thanks so much for the help.