News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New to the board

Started by mike r, February 20, 2013, 05:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r0gruth

The "F" on a GG1 model could very well refer to the front of the model loco.

There is no designated front on an actual 1' to 1' GG1 loco.

IMHO this is not worth an argument.I do agree that a way may be needed to identify the front of the model.
Roger

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: r0gruth on February 26, 2013, 10:43:20 PM
IMHO this is not worth an argument.I do agree that a way may be needed to identify the front of the model.
I meant it as a compliment only. It was a good answer. Sorry :-[ I find the variety of experience here very knowledgeable.  On info, If I came across harsh. my apologies. I debate to learn myself or teach others I dont mind either ;D
And while I dont enjoy it, I want to hear when Im wrong too. Who wants to be wrong and never know it? 8) 
Hey what about the steam generator end? On most other locos that was considered the rear. And would be safer there in a head on, with/or steam rupture, due to blowing into water into electrics. Why not they used the rear pantograph so an accidental broken front one wouldn't crash into the rear one leaving the loco stranded.  ::) Well, it almost follows the same logic.  :D   

r0gruth

Some PRR electrics ran with both pantographs raised.

Many of the electrics were seldom turned so the front
was the end that led.The crew changed ends.
Many interurbans and street cars were operated the same way.
The motor man took the needed handles and moved to the other end.
On a trolley the pole on one end would be lowered and the other was raised.
Roger

GG1onFordsDTandI

I thought they changed pantographs when ever time allowed for equipment saftey. I know it wouldn't apply 100% of the time. I also thought it was preferred to have the steam to the rear on longer hauls after the ice and snow thru vents incident. But I never even got to experience a GG1 run first hand once. So, others would know better than me. What I always loved about the dual cabs is the ability to not have to turn the loco. Used to sometimes play in the woods along the old Ford electric line. Giant horseshoe shaped concrete cantonary supports, like tall thin dinosaur ribs. The electricity was off long before then even. I thought it was a waste not to use the system, "we might get GG1s...then new ones" I thought as a kid during the beginning of Amtrck. Most of the arches are gone now. But I think there are a couple still standing now near the "Giant Uniroyal Tire." near Detroit. The line near the Amtrack station in Dearborn might have some too.
Hey we had a trolley loop downtown in this century! Gone now. :'(    Replaced by rubberwheeled trolleys ??? >:(

coolwaldo

Welcome Mike. You found a very good place to chat and get help. Enjoy your trains!
Be happy. Play with your trains.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Hey Waldo, I know where you are! ::)(bad joke, couldt help myself. Elephants work for peanuts, I work for the Corn.) Can you confirm if any arches are still up in your neck of the woods. And are they the concrete or steel ones?