News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Having Issues With Uncoupling

Started by tigerthelion, February 21, 2013, 07:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerthelion

I have been working on my couplers over the past few days and the only issue I seem to constantly have is when it comes to uncoupling... the whole process is fine except that it seems the couplers don't open enough and as soon as they move away from the magnet, they snap back and the cars are again coupled. The couplers are Kadee's for the most part, and gauge is correct, as well as height... maybe new magnets? Help please!

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

WoundedBear

I read back to some of your older posts. It looks like you've had this problem for a while now?

Is it's the "delayed" uncoupling action you're looking for? You may have the wrong magnets. Some magnets will pop the couplers open enough to uncouple, but not enough to set-up for the "delayed" action. Even Kadee makes different types of magnets. Like jward said....check the trip pin height, then check your magnets.

If you have the correct magnets, then did you install them properly? Some need intensifier plates, some need shimming and the use of a jig.

Sid

tigerthelion

Thanks for the advice. Didn't realize it may be the wrong magnets... got them second hand with no explanation, and no packaging. It sounds to me I don't have the delayed magnets... thanks again!

electrical whiz kid

If you are using delayed action uncoupling devices, you have to stop the train at the intended point.  At that point, the mags will pull the couplers away from each other.  You then reverse slightly, this releasing the couplers completely.  You then pull the (train) away from that car, and push the car to the spotting position.
Rich