Looking for recommendations on roadbed for sectional snap track.

Started by jbrock27, February 22, 2013, 07:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Hello All

I am looking for suggestions on what material to use for roadbed under sectional "snap track".  I know there is cork and there is the synthetic material that Woodland Scenics puts out.  I do plan on ballasting the roadbed.  Are there other materials I am overlooking?
I do plan on putting something between the plywood base and the roadbed, so any suggestions on that material would be helpful as well.  I see that in past posts, foam board has been recommended.
And not to deviate from the topic, but I don't know where some of you have been able to find 5 x 8 sheets of plywood bc I certainly could not at Lowe's, H.D. or local lumber yards.
Thank you in advance for the assistance.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe Satnik

Dear jb,

In this thread I mentioned 4' x 9' sheets (not five by eight):

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,22839.0.html

Also,

I have an "N scale" friend that saves money by buying bulk sheet cork and slicing it with a blade set at 45 degrees.

http://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/office-school-supplies/cork-dry-erase/quartet-24-x-48-natural-cork-roll/p-1471984-c-7158.htm

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jbrock27

Thank you Joe, but no, this does not really help. 
As I have stated previously, there is no MENARD'S anywhere near me. 
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Of course, I can do a search for cork rolls.  So in that regard, a worthwhile suggestion.  Thanks again.
What does your friend use, that he can set the cutting blade to a 45 degree angle? 
Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe Satnik

Dunno.  I'll have to call him and ask.

In the mean time, how about a block of wood cut to a 45 degree angle, with a single edge razor blade mounted to its face with small screws, with a small corner of the blade extending beyond the block the thickness of the cork? 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jbrock27

I could do something like that Joe.  I was thinking that perhaps making some sort of jig, would be the best way to cut the cork in consistent widths. 
Maybe even cut the block at a greater angle than 45 degrees, so when the cork is cut, the ballast would look more natural?  I read that recently in magazine.  That certainly is possible, perhaps not the best set up, but an option.
Would you mind asking your friend how he goes about it?
Thank you again.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Paul C.

X-Acto makes a mat cutter for cutting the mats for picture framing. It holds a blade either verticle or at a 45 deg angle. It does have a big enough "edge" that you can run it along a good straightedge to get a good cut. However, I'm not sure how well this would work on full size HO cork but I think should work fine on N scale cork sheet.

Brian1975

When I was building my layout.... " Currently On the Sencery & Track Laying Step's now " I used 1/2 ply wood & homasote on top of ply wood... then got pre cut cork strip's from my HS I had to wate abit on the cork because there was a shortage on the stuff  " witch was no big deal for me because it was on order wile I built my benchwork "...

West Bound

Quote from: jbrock27 on February 22, 2013, 12:21:58 PM
Thank you Joe, but no, this does not really help. 
As I have stated previously, there is no MENARD'S anywhere near me. 
Why don't you order the cork on line and have it delivered?

Joe Satnik

Dear jb,

Menard's sells on-line and does ship.

I talked with my friend, and it turns out I was incorrect about the angled slice. 

He says he just buys rolls (from office supply stores or departments) and cuts the strips off square.

He then creates a slope along the side with ballast (and glue mixture). 

If you have flooring contractors near by, you could ask if they have 1/4" thick cork underlay* scraps saved,

or if they could save some from their next job.   

Perhaps a local flooring supply has scraps or could sell a small length to you off of a (bulk) roll.

Web search engines work well at times: (Google "cork rolls")

https://shop.mantoncork.com/1-4th-inch-thick-natural-cork-rolls/ 

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

*Spell check does not recognize the commonly used flooring word "underlayment". 

Turns out the word "underlay" can be used as a noun. 

(Sitting in for Mr. Wise-Word today.)

jbrock27

Joe-thank you for getting back to me.  So I take it then, you friend does not make any angled cut at all to the edges of the cork?  Yes, was thinking of looking for 1/4" thickness.

Paul C-thank you for your response.  Just to make it clear, I am working in HO.

Brian 1975-thank you for your feedback.

West Bound-yes, thank you for the suggestion.  This is what I meant I could do when I put in my 2nd post.  When I said search, I thought I included "online" but see my post does that include that key word.

Thank you again, to all of you who responded. 
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Oh, and just so everyone is aware, after Joe's first recommendation, I did look on-line at MENARDS for their cork roll.  Turns out shipping would cost as much as the roll itself  :D  Certainly an option to keep in the back of my pocket after exploring other options.

Anyone have ideas on a jig to cut a cork roll into the same width strips for sections of track other than turnouts?

And one more thing, this is in the planning stages so it is not like I need to have all my materials, yesterday or that I know right now exactly how much I need.

Thanks again.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Quote from: jbrock27 on February 26, 2013, 01:03:31 PM
Anyone have ideas on a jig to cut a cork roll into the same width strips for sections of track other than turnouts?

I believe you can make a jig with a piece of hardwood cut at 45o, or whatever angle you prefer, and use a utility knife with the blade fully extended to cut the shoulders for your roadbed. Or even screw a blade to a piece of beveled wood, with the blade pointing down, and run it along a table saw fence or any other straightedge. That would proably do the best job of giving you nice uniform cuts. However, I'm not convinced that absolute uniformity is necessary. Indeed, a little variation might actually look more realistic for anything other than just-laid track. All-in-all, the best, easiest and probably quickest solution is probably to look on line for a shop which has cork roadbed in stock and buy a "case," which is, I think, 100 pieces.

-- D

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Midwest Products cork roadbed is what my LHS sells. 

Their HO roadbed is 5mm thick, or about 3/16", so my suggestion of 1/4" underlay would be 27% thicker than 5mm. 

Their N scale is 3mm.

Conversion factor:  mm/25.4 = decimal inch

Decimal inch x 64 = # of 64ths of an inch.  (Simple?)
Decimal inch x 32 = # of 32nds of an inch.
etc...down to
Decimal inch x 2 = # of halfs of an inch.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

jbrock27

Thanks for the suggestion Doc (D).  I agree, that some irregularity would give a more realistic look.

Joe, thanks again.  Unfortunately, my LHS only stocks the Woodland Scenics roll of synthetic stuff.  I see no one has given a recommendation yet on using that over cork.

I may even decide to dispense with using a foam board or otherwise between the plywood base and the track roadbed and just go with putting the cork down directly on the plywood.  I understand the extra layer of foam or whatnot is useful for 2 reasons: 1) it deadens sound more and 2) allows for modeling of some topography like streams and depressions and such.  Decisions, decisions...

Thank you again guys.
Keep Calm and Carry On