News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cleaning Instructions

Started by bellis11209, February 18, 2013, 01:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellis11209

Are there instructions for cleaning an "N" EMD F9 Diesel anywhere? If so where?

GG1onFordsDTandI

Well since no one else seems to want to put their 2 cents down, here goes. I am new to N, but have 40 years of O behind me. No one knows everything about anything unless they built it, and even they get surprised now & then.
This isn't exactly cleaning, more about disassembly and checking but you may learn something here  http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,22770.msg180534.html#msg180534
And read this-http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,23025.msg182061.html#msg182061
Also check out Bachmann starter videos on youtube there is one on lubricating(& cleaning?) for first time but I dont have the exact link right now. Solvents not necessary, fine lintless cloth, q-tips-but dont leave the fibers all over, remember your cleaning, just wipe and inspect, & lube. In N, fine needle point lube bottles are almost a must. Use proper lubes LIGHTLY or they will just spatter messily and need cleaning sooner, possibly fouling electrical. Look at armature, is it smooth, and check out motor carbon brushes, try to remove excess carbon dust(I like to clean with compressed air if not gunky from lube.
As per link-"Careful with that ax Eugene" (read as-Go slow use caution, note how parts work with each other BEFORE you  disassemble her 100%. Or fully reassemble for that manner. Note flipping motor over will reverse train polarity & direction and its tabs are where power is conducted. Its little, delicate and the little things matter here. Watch spacers, etc.)
General diagrams are on Bachmann main site here if you need them. If you get stuck post your problem(forum has slowed a little lately. General discussion some times gets quicker responses and many subjects, like cleaning, are kind of general subjects. But dont be alarmed if a moderator moves your post to your scale, just make a mental note try to get it right next time.
Good luck!