News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N scale 4-6-0 : Spectrum or Standard line ?

Started by onzeroad, February 27, 2013, 06:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onzeroad

Hello

Few sellers mentioned  Bachmann N 51452 Baldwin 4-6-0 Steam Locomotive as "Spectrum" line.  Other sellers didn't mentionned any info about it.

Maybe there is a confusion with other scales. I'd like to contact them for correct info but i need to be sure.

I know there is no Spectrum logo on N catalog but could you confirme if it's Spectrum or not ?

Thank you very much !

skipgear

They are not spectrum. They are pretty close to spectrum quality but they are not considered spectrum line. I think the big difference in the nomenclature is that there are no unique versions of the loco, they are all the same loco with different paint schemes. The spectrum locos have different details to help them represent the road modeled better. Similar to the difference in Atlas Trainman and Master Line equipment.

All that said, it really doesn't matter, they are excellent locos.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

onzeroad

Thank you !  :)

I wrote to Bachmann and they've just answered me :

"This is new with a decoder on board it is not a Spectrum  this was a term used for the new DCC ready engines that were the first to come out this way. The new 4-6-0 in N scale is better than a Spectrum because of the decoder and its new production."

I thought there is difference in quality of details and motor.  So many customers talk about these differences... (noise, power etc..)

(forgive my english, I'm French).

skipgear

The 4-6-0 has a coreless motor and was the first production loco from Bachmann to use it. Before that, early spectrum loco's had 5 pole motors vs. the standard line which had 3 pole motors. Since going to can motors and the coreless, that line has been blurred. The one thing many of the spectrum locos had were bronze bushings on the drive axles, these locos do not. The 2-6-6-2's were the one spectrum loco design that didn't have bronze bushings. There were differences but as production tollerances have gotten better, the need for some of these features is lessened.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

onzeroad

Thank you very much for these very very interesting info !  :)

I'm still hesitate between 2-6-0 and 4-6-0. They seems to be very close about motor etc. We can find them at the same price.

But like many other people, the big tender of 4-6-0 is a "problem" for me. I know I could change it later but it's little boring to buy a complete product DCC equipped to change it for a question of size. And it seems it's not so easy to adapt connections.

So I suppose I'll probably choose 2-6-0.

Old John

The 2-6-0 is a great little runner!  I bought one an a "whim" about 3 months ago, and I just received my 4th in the mail on monday, I'll probably by one more - I'm addicted!

onzeroad

haha thanks ! I think it's the right loco I need.  ;D

But as I write my order,  I just discovered  old time coach seems to be VERY rare! I'm very surprised and disappointed. I've thought theses "classic" old historic coachs are common products in USA, but it seems it's not.  :-\

Old John

onzeroad,

You can find the old time coaches on Ebay all the time, I bought 4, and didn't pay more than $10 each (plus shipping)

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: onzeroad on February 28, 2013, 01:23:11 PM
But as I write my order,  I just discovered  old time coach seems to be VERY rare! I'm very surprised and disappointed. I've thought theses "classic" old historic coachs are common products in USA, but it seems it's not.  :-\
Quote from: Old John on March 01, 2013, 11:24:47 AM
You can find the old time coaches on Ebay all the time, I bought 4, and didn't pay more than $10 each (plus shipping)
I am confused, maybe its a language translation problem. I am from the States where "coach" commonly means a passenger car, and a "cab" describes where an engineer runs the train. Do Europeans refer to locomotive cabs as coaches or am I missing a passenger car reference elsewhere? Or is a wooden cab a coach also? Because from what I see the loco is not offered with passenger cars. Or are you disappointed older passenger coaches are not very numerous?

onzeroad

Please forgive me if I've chosen the wrong word.   :P

So here is an image of good exemple :

The overton were perfect for me because I'm working on small layout.

The Bachmann Silverton & Durango are longer but I suppose it could be ok too.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Very nice coach! ;D I can understand your disappointment. I think the D&S (or Royal Blue) would work out fine for you till you can lay your hands on the Pennsy's. I'm a long time O gauge fan, and new to N. I only have very long modern N coaches (Mt McKinley) and they work fine on 24"r track. A bit long for 24" but that's what the set came with and once couplers side to side "springs" were broken in they run flawlessly (new knuckle style). I wouldn't be surprised if those D&S's made it around the tightest turns made without a hitch. More than likely the engine will decide your turning radius limits.
P.S.- R.R. terms do sometimes differ by region I wasn't "calling you out" for being wrong as much as I wish to learn the terms others use. :-[
P.S.S.- I was recently "called out" for using the term "switch tracks" instead of turnouts. My family called them switch tracks, maybe very old Upper Peninsula of Michigan narrow gauge slang, but I have no proof to support this claim. (Yet ;)) Feel better?
P.S.S.S.- Your English is great, much better than my French, which is pretty much limited to bonjour, counting to dix, Detroit, Sault Ste Marie, and of course Pierre Marquette. English? Heck I think its time to start calling it "American" over here there are so many differences. ;D

onzeroad

Thanks. In fact it's mostly "google traduction" english haha.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: onzeroad on March 08, 2013, 07:02:30 AM
Thanks. In fact it's mostly "google traduction" english haha.

HA HA! Google failed to change the word French "traduction" to English "translation".
You should have stolen the complement and ran? ;D
 "au revoir monsieur :-* :-* bonne chance"