News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Something for Bachmann to consider

Started by sd45elect2000, February 27, 2013, 01:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sd45elect2000

In My opinion the newest Bachmann N scale 10,000 gallon single and triple dome tank cars are very nice, I have collected multiples of all of them and I am still wanting.

Perhaps its time for Bachmann to enter the limited edition collector stuff aimed at model railroaders , They now have the quality product to do so. Perhaps a set of three different numbered cars in a set, or 12 different numbered cars either individual or in 6 packs or whatnot. I would buy many more if I didn't have to change numbers on the cars.

I would look forward to additional paint schemes on the cars as well. Mr. Bachmann , why stop at 6 single dome and 5 triple dome cars when you could sell dozens more with different car numbers and some new paint schemes?

Randy

Country Joe

I agree with you Randy. The same goes for engines. Why only 1 cab number? If the GP7, RS3, Ten Wheeler and others came in more cab numbers I'd buy more, especially with the diesels.

skipgear

I would love to see more road numbers and road names also but there would be a cost to bear. It's not how they make money. Bachmann makes large runs to keep the per unit cost down. More variations means a setup and test of the production line for each new variation which probably costs more than the actual process of making the batch of cars. I'm happy if they keep re-running popular items with new numbers everytime a batch runs out which seems to be the way things are heading. 

My father used to be a setup mechanic at a cosmetics factory. Just changing a fregrance or color would result in between 2-5 hours down time which was often shorter than the actual time to run a full production batch for most items. I know its not model trains but they could run an entire sales quarters worth of some products in 2-3 hours time.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

Ken G Price

Quote from: sd45elect2000 on February 27, 2013, 01:29:37 PM
In My opinion the newest Bachmann N scale 10,000 gallon single and triple dome tank cars are very nice, I have collected multiples of all of them and I am still wanting.

Perhaps its time for Bachmann to enter the limited edition collector stuff aimed at model railroaders , They now have the quality product to do so. Perhaps a set of three different numbered cars in a set, or 12 different numbered cars either individual or in 6 packs or whatnot. I would buy many more if I didn't have to change numbers on the cars.

I would look forward to additional paint schemes on the cars as well. Mr. Bachmann , why stop at 6 single dome and 5 triple dome cars when you could sell dozens more with different car numbers and some new paint schemes?

Randy
Unless you run the cars individually, then what they are numbered is of no concern, as far as operations go. If run as a block from point A to point B, then I can not see why it is a problem.  ???
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

sd45elect2000

I run with computer generated switch lists and car cards. Seldom will they run as a block unless there is a block coming off interchange for multiple customers. I've spent my entire life on the railroad , I'm anal about these things..

Randy

Desertdweller

Your easiest solution would be to change car numbers.  Remove the old number (there has been plenty posted here on changing numbers on locos) and put on a new one using decals or dry transfers.

I am a retired railroader.  There is a reference book published yearly (I think by the AAR) that lists all freight cars used in interchange in this country.  I'll bet one of you railroad buddies who works in station operations can probably get for for you.  It is a thick book like a phone book, bound in yellow or orange heavy cardboard.

Or, you might get access to its digital equivalent, the UMLER file.  Not only does this list all reporting marks, number series, and owners, but also dimensions.  Railroads use this information to determine if oversized loads will have clearance problems on a given route.  The clearance dimensions on the route are compared with the dimensions of the loaded equipment.  There are standardized clearance dimensions (called "plates") for quick reference.

Les