News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Problem with new PA1

Started by lelandb124, May 17, 2013, 11:38:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lelandb124

I received a new PA1 A-A on Tues.  Yesterday the PB1, the 4 car 72' set and the 2 car add on 72' arrived.
Running conventional, I assembled A-B-A and the six cars.  Engine pulled fine for 3 or 4 minutes, then slowed down to an eventual complete stop.  Forward portion of the shell on the powered felt significantly warmer that the rear motor area.
Oiled all wheels and lubed gears before starting the run.  Does this seem to be a warranty issue?  The A-A ran fine when I only had the two, but with this extra weight and interior lights, etc. drawing current, it seems to an overheating issue in one motor.
My first WBB purchase, so I would appreciate any guidance.

lelandb124,

I will try to guide you through the steps that I would take if I had a similar problem.
1.   Remove the shell from the chassis of the powered PA1 unit.
2.   View the interior. Are the wires going to both motors allowing free movement of the motors and rotation of the trucks?
3.   Turn the rear weighted flywheel on the motor by hand. Make note of the amount of effort that is needed for this task.
4.   Turn the front motor's flywheel in a similar way. Any different amount of effort noted?
5.   If more effort is needed on the rotation of the front motor than the rear, see step #6
6.   Remove front motor from its' truck. This can be accomplished by turning the chassis upside down and locating a philips head screw directly below the electric motor. Remove this screw, it goes through the truck base directly into the motor. With this screw removed, you can upright the chassis, and with a simple turn on the motor's flywheel, remove the motor.
7.   With the motor separated from the truck, you should be able to rotate the motor's flywheel to check for binding. With the motor off it's mount you can also check for binding in the drive wheels and gears.
8.   I would venture to guess that you may find the binding to be in the  wheels and drive gears rather than in the motor itself.
9.   If no binding is located, reassemble with care  to properly mesh the gearing. Rotate the motor flywheel again by hand. If no binding, than the binding was at the motor to truck mating.

Good luck ...671

Joe Satnik

Dear leland,

What brand and model of transformer do you have?

Are the passenger car lights still lit when the loco eventually stops?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

Check to see how well (how far) the (individual) passenger cars and dummy locos will roll on the track with a small shove.  

Looking for a unit or units with significantly more drag than the others.  

Are all center rail pickups rolling nicely?

Thanks.

Joe
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.