News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Review of WBB "NEW" GP-30

Started by M1FredQ, March 10, 2013, 12:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M1FredQ

I am going to film it.

As I related in another thread my daughter is supposed to show me how to post pictures and videos. She keeps saying its not hard

BUT

As I learned from my Surgical Instructor while a Med Student  he used to say:

See One

Do one

Teach One

I just have to corner her long enough to show me .

Chessie1971

M1FredQ

Sorry for long delay. I did video part of it and have it on hold till I know how to post it

BUT

I will go ahead and give a review probably over the weekend

Thanks for being patient.

I will say WBB hit a home run with this GP-30 I am glad I took the plunge

raider409

Anyone have any news on the GP30's from York as to new road names and if and when they might be released?

M1FredQ

A very busy week for us had to take a couple of relatives to their Dr's appointments as well as a work too.

I will be able to give a short review of the GP-30 I have.

As a preview. WBB really got serious with this release. What I mean is that "The Box" is a nice thick quality construction. WBB has seemed to have found itself with the colors on the box and yes it's distinct and classy looking. Be careful opening the box as not to tear the ends. I put a Popsicle stick or "chop stick" under the flap and gently lift so it doesn't tear. The Styrofoam housing is easily removed from the box. The Styrofoam pieces protecting the rail lings are carefully placed and easy to remove. On the back of the satyr foam packaging are "push holes" which will help you to carefully release the locomotive from the Styrofoam housing. Once the wrapping is all removed I had Joey place it on the track and I'll continue later!!!

M1FredQ

Just to continue:

When the Engine came out of sty.. packing I noticed right away the detail on the locomotive. Having been a model airplane builder for a number of years I was impressed right away with seeing realistic looking "recessed panel lines". I also thought WBB

captured the "yellow" color of U.P. very nicely. The railings were all attached, with grip handles throughout the "body" of the locomotive all attached. The railing were all painted with crisp demarcation lines between gray and white. The railings were all straight and true.

Proceeding to the dorsal (top) of the locomotive. The rectangular and circular vents all had vents open and not solid plastic!! Very realistic!!! There was no "flash" pieces of plastic that get outside the moulding process. Very impressive.

Looking at the bottom wheel housing very nicely detailed. When you look at the steps even the edges of each step are painted white as on the real thing.

When you observe the forward and aft portion of the locomotive as I said before the grip handles are all there protruding out from the body of the engine. very realistic.

The various lights for and aft are there as well as a very visible crisp looking ID number board !!

On the track this engine has a very commanding presence-it looks impressive- the size is just right-it is a focal point and you can't help but look at it a lot!!!!

So far I was very impressed with the attention to detail, size(scale?) and paint job!!

WBB however they did it have to be complimented for the outstanding way this was painted and decaled. The smaller details like the linked chain fore and aft are welcome and wonderful to see!!!!

The couplers are easy to operate spring open easily and close with ease and stay closed.

On the underside(ventral) portion of the engine there are all kinds of nice detail-the knowledgeable RR fellas on this forum can elaborate on these elements-as for me I appreciate it and it looks realistic and cool!!!

The gears are metal!!! Yes!! Easy to get to for lubrication purposes. The "trucks" look
heavy duty and of high quality. There is a switch on the ventral side(bottom)-"lock position or run" I assume you can side track this engine and make it inoperable-very nice !!

Forgot to mention-the windows look very realistic very clear and crisp like real glass and even a set of wind shield wipers NOT the kind built into the window but a separate unit--it looks great!!

Got to sign out for now next time I give my impression of how it runs etc.

So far overall this is really an outstanding looking working model. The packaging, the construction, coloring at least for the U.P. example I have, the fine details like railings. linked chain, grip handles, painted safety stripes on the stairs, the windshield with wiper blades, lights, open fan and exhaust units and the decaling,etc make this a locomotive you want to have and display on your lay-out or shelf.

For someone like me who likes steamers and F-3's or F-7's and the GG-1 I was first very curious when I first saw this locomotive introduced by Bachmann at a "Train Show"and was really initially impressed by what they had produced.

As I said above this engine has a commanding presence on the lay out, it looks impressive is well built and looks like its ready to do some serious pulling or pushing!!

Next time I get the chance I'll talk about what it does once you give it the "juice"!!

Hope you find this helpful and post questions if you like !!!

M1FredQ

Sorry for long delays . A lot of activity going on around our home kids, family etc.

I will put up pieces of my review a little at a time please bear with me!!

Got a few questions asking about the Union Pacific Color scheme.

I have a model airplane background primarily World War 2 I mention that fact because when modeling aircraft(a/c) WW1 and WW2 color camoflage  and paint schemes are really important Sometimes even having the right color but when applied to a scale model may not look right. There are so many factors, shadowing, scale effect, color pigment types etc. What about the Railroads? From what I have been reading Rail companies take pride in the unique designs and colors they come up with, and they do their best at standarizing colors. As a kid my Dad bought me a few shares of UP stock and every year I get a calender and I have come to appreciate the type of yellow U.P. uses to paint their locomotives.

now, how does that translate to the O-Gauge world. My "impression" based on looking at photographs and seeing the real deal up close over the years I venture to say WBB got it to an acceptable range. Paint varies as you bring down to scale and I think WBB took this all into consideration as the color looks fine to me not too light or not too dark. The hues and shadowing look very fitting for this scale. Please understand I have no knowledge so far as to how WBB matches colors or paint their locomotives and rolling stock!! Just on observation it has the, "right look"" to me and as I have said before I like how they did all the decaling and painting. I hope this helps.

I am sure there are experts out there who may want to chime in and I welcome it as I am always open to learning about these things.

Impression: So far based on what I have related without even putting the "juice" to the GP-30 I like what I see and am impressed and yes would encourage anyone sitting on the fence to go for it. In the couple of weeks we have had this engine Joey has been running it when he gets home from school before baseball practice and we run it together 10-15 minutes before he goes to bed at night.

I hope to move on without too much delay to the "workings" of this engine.

And yes I have gone forward and ordered the "Atlantic Coast Line" version and will give a review of it too when it arrives.

Thanks for putting up with my time delays. I really hope this helps folks who are thinking about it or waiting. I tend to be a "waiting" type but I had good vibes about this WBB GP-30 and am glad I took the plunge.

to be continued!!!!

r0gruth

Could the "lock and run" switch be for locking in a one direction mode similar to on the old Lionel e-units?
Roger

M1FredQ

Good question

Tomorrow we have a party and a bunch of nieces and nephews over I'll try it out and post later

wmwalker

Ok I picked up my GP30 ACL this afternoon and all I can said it is just first class in my book. This is really a great looking and sounding engine.
Here is the sound as it sit in the idle mode.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t8VtnXoWwk&feature=youtu.be
Thanks
Wyatt

Chessie1971

WMwalker thanks for showing that short video of the GP-30

Jeff

r0gruth

Now I will admit it has been over thirty years since I have heard a GP-30,the idle seems to be top high pitched and to fast.

The complaint that I read of the sound not being loud enough seems to be incorrect as sheard on some posted videos.

As I said,it has been a long time since I have heard one.

It is on my list to acquire.
Roger

wmwalker

Chessie1971 you are quite welcome and glad you enjoyed the short video. Did you notice that you blow the horn and bell at the same time now. I really think this is a great engine and looking forward for more to come. Like I have said I already have my order in for the RS3 Seaboard in Dec. :)
Thanks
Wyatt

M1FredQ

WMwalker a big THANK YOU for showing that ACL GP-30 I am glad I ordered it !!

It looks really good in those colors!! Can't wait to get it

Chessie1971

Yes i did wmwalker sounds great thats the way it should be where you can blow horn and ring bell at the sametime. I can't wait to get one in chessie or B&O western maryland.