News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Climax

Started by wally, August 19, 2007, 05:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally

I am new to DCC and have a question about the Bachmann on30 climax. What type of decoder do I need to have both sound and control? Do I need to solder for installation, or is there one that just plugs in? Any help greatly appreciated.

the Bach-man

Dear Wally,
Soundtraxx makes a decoder that installs with minimal soldering.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

hminky

Soundtraxx discontinued the Plug and Play decoder for the Shay and Climax several months ago. They do have a mini-Tsunami that should work with more effort.

Harold

jnichols

The Tsunami Micro isn't a bad choice, but I actually prefer the ESU Loksound v3.5 for the Climax and Shay. While the Tsunami's are wonderful decoders, I find the chuff to be very bland (read generic) and the lack of gear noise unforgivable. I also like the premade logging whistles ESU has "recorded" as they have a ton of character. From an installation standpoint, the ESU decoder comes with a 1" speaker and NMRA 8 pin plug making it plug and play. Also keep in mind the Tsunami (even the Micro) gets very warm while running whereas the ESU decoders use a 100 ohm speaker for cooler running. I appreciate this in the small space the decoders must be confined in with these installations.

Jeff
Jeff - The Train Shoppe