News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Install F9

Started by GSXR1000, March 14, 2013, 05:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSXR1000

This is the F9 Locomotive from the Red Rock train set, it is the same locomotive used for the Royal Gorge F7A and F7B.  In this video I am installing the DN135D DCC decoder from Digitrax.  The next video is installing a LED head light (very bright).  The resistors I used tested at 324 ohms each, the result was 2.99 volts, these are 3 volt LEDs.  I used 2 because I had them laying around.  I have two functions from the decoder left any Ideas?

DCC decoder:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIbo5zDDSSM&feature=youtu.be

LED Light:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyKP9XPrkkQ&feature=youtu.be

Jerrys HO

Nice job! I just ordered the DZ125 for mine. Hoping to get started on that soon. In the LED video it seems to be real bright, does it look that bright on your layout or is it just the way the camera is positioned?

Jerry

jbrock27

What are the capacitors and inductors there for to begin with?
Keep Calm and Carry On

steve turner

If LED too bright try nail polish opaque neutral kind of  color dabbed onto LED.................works great. If its the far locomotive was not  sure that a very bluey looking LED. I would go with a soft white or yellow glow white LED. Minimum resistor i use is a 1K. The Ik resistor is an all arouind resistor for many uses so a package of them on hand is handy.They are cheap.

richg

Quote from: jbrock27 on March 14, 2013, 07:21:15 AM
What are the capacitors and inductors there for to begin with?

To satisfy the EU and UK interference standards.
Bachmann sells a lot of stuff on the other side of the Pond.
Bachmann sells locos there that we do not normally see in the USA so Bachmann uses the same electronic components and USA locos are sold over there also.
Simple solution is to snip the caps when putting in a decoder that has Back Electro-Motive Force (BEMF).

Rich

steve turner

To add to Rich reply by snipping the little round devil it improves or does not interfere with maybe reduced low speed operation. These are electrical noise interference suppressors regulated in UK and Europe. I remenber 45 years ago my road race set cars had them...................it was a Scalelextric from England, dont know if they still make them...............best car i had was a FWD Mini British racing green ! Steve

jbrock27

Thank you Rich and Steve.

Steve, I like your tip on using nail polish on the LED.  I have used red nail polish on bulbs mounted into a couple of my "bumper" tracks.
Keep Calm and Carry On

GSXR1000

Hi Jerrys HO

It is really that bright, about the same as a mini mag flash light... ;D  The locomotive on the right is the standard unit at it's full brightness..

GSXR1000

Hi Steve Turner

The locomotive on the left is the modified one the right one is stock...  The LED is white to the eye, the camera adds the tint.  I wanted it to be as bright as possible, this LED can range from 1.5 volts to 3 volts, brightness is adjustable by which resistor is used, the higher it's value the dimmer it will be, for instance the resistors I used were 648 ohms if you use a 1k ohm resistor it would be much dimmer.  I also installed this LED into my B-23 with the Bachmann decoder, this decoder combination yielded 1.75 volts on low and 2.02 volts on high, much dimmer but bright enough that I don't have to cup my hands around it to see if the lights are on.  This install is on here as well.

Thanks for the input

jbrock27

GSXR, did you use 3mm or 5mm size bulbs for your project?
Thank you.

-jb
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

Many fail to understand the LED's are current operated, not voltage operated. Voltage does not enter the equation until you have many in series. I have put four LED's in series with a decoder and not concerned about voltage.
Most LED's we use are 20 MA, max. That is the figure we are really interested in, along with the brightness we desire.
Today, super bright LED's are coming into the market so the resistance can be quite higher than 1k which is always been a good starting point.
I use a 5k pot in series with the LED and 12.2V VDC supply and adjust the pot to what I like for brightness while watching the current with the below meters. Then I chose the closest standard resistor.
Do a Google search for: using LED's. You will get hundreds of hits, including many LED sellers.

The below link shows the meters I use. Much better than assuming and guessing. They cost between $3.00 t0 $5.00 each.

http://www.trainelectronics.com/Meter_HF/index.htm

Rich

jbrock27

As a point of information, the 5mm LEDs I found at RADIO SHACK happened to be 25ma.
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

Quote from: jbrock27 on March 16, 2013, 04:41:04 PM
As a point of information, the 5mm LEDs I found at RADIO SHACK happened to be 25ma.

Looking for the specs is always a good idea. Assume 20 ma to be on the safe side.
As an example, about fifteen years ago I ordered some 3mm green LED's for battery operated test equipment that where rated at, 2.0 ma, max. I operate them at 1.0 ma off a 9 volt battery. Don't remember the resistance. I would have to open the case.
Again, I know the voltage spec of the LED but it was not important. I adjusted the pot until I got 1.0 ma. I use a ten turn 5 k pot so the resistance does not change so fast when I tun the shaf  and burn out the LED.

Rich

GSXR1000

Hi, jbrock27

Thanks for asking, I used 3mm LEDs.

Linrose
BCMD204UWC
3200 mcd-3mm white LED
3.2Vf@20mA-viewing angle-25

jbrock27

Thank you for the info and for getting back to me GSXR.
I was thinking of trying a green or yellow for my next directional light project.
Keep Calm and Carry On