News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Which steamer?

Started by Pool guy, March 16, 2013, 11:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pool guy

I recently picked up two Bachmann engines for my oldest son in NYC. One is a GP7 and the other is an RS 3. WOW......... They are beautiful. I usually only buy Atlas or Kato locos only but now will be buying more BACHMANN. Now for my question....... I preordered a PLE S4 and now want one steamer.  My question which is a more desirable steamer for NYC fans.....a 2 6 0 or a 4 6 0????
I really only need one at this point so please help me make decision
Rick

GG1onFordsDTandI

Switching, freight, or passenger? High speed? These may sway the suggestions about to pour in. 

Pool guy

Wow... Never gave it a thought. Most likely freight. Also since We would be running it with first generation diesels ( RS & GP) which would fit the era better??
I do love the 2 8 0 but it has the RAPIDO coupler and it is not DCC.
thanks for your reply

Mike C

Both the 2-6-0 and 4-6-0 are great locos. really depends on which one you like. Also the NEW run of the 2-8-0 has a DCC decoder already installed, and comes with Microtrains style couplers. Don't know if you ever found this yet  www.spookshow.net but he has information on EVERY N scale locomotive ever built......Mike

wljacpa

I have both and find the 2-6-0 to a more reliable runner.  The 4-6-0 is more likely to derail through my Atlas switches.

brokemoto

The tender on the ten wheeler is far too large for any F class that NYCS ran.

The mogul is a bit small for NYCS E classes

The consolidated does not resemble any G classes.

Neither the USRA heavy or light 4-8-2 resembles any L class.

The USRA 2-6-6-2 does not resemble any NYCS NE class.

Having stated the above, the first two are excellent runners and good pullers for their size.  The SPECTRUM consolidated and the USRA heavy 4-8-2 are good runners and pullers.  There were problems with the first runs of the 2-8-0, USRA light 4-8-2 and USRA 2-6-6-2, but B-mann corrected those problems in subsequent runs.  

The SPECTRUM 2-8-0 is one of the standards against which N scale steam is measured. Once properly broken in, the SPECTRUM 2-8-0 is one of the best running and pulling N scale steam locomotives.

B-mann sells a USRA 0-6-0.  This was NYCS class B-62.  You must buy the 2-6-2 and remove the idler trucks.  An even better upgrade is to swap out the stock tender for a SPECTRUM all wheels live tender.  Theupgrade is simple and spookshow's  website shows how to do it.

Con-Cor sells a hudson based on the J-3a.  There are shrouded and non-shrouded versions.  Most of them run well and pull well.

Kato sells a USRA heavy 2-8-2.  Class H-9 was unique to the P&LE and rarely operated on the NYC proper or any of its other subsidiaries.  P&LE swapped the USRA standard tender for the larger tender from the underachieving H-8s.  The Kato 2-8-2 is the other standard against which N scale steam is measured.  If you get the traction tyre upgrade and add a bit of weight to the tender, you will have an excellent puller and runner.  The P&LE version of this one is out of production , but they do pop up at shows.

Model power sells a USRA light 2-8-2.  NYCS class H-6 was the USRA light 2-8-2.

Model Power also sells a USRA light 4-6-2 as well as a 2-6-0 and 4-4-0 lettered for NYC.  The MPs are good runners but suffer from 1970s construction methods.  SWapping ot the stock tender for various B-personn SPECTRUM tenders markedly improves the performance of the MPs.

GG1onFordsDTandI

My choice with 6 drivers are the 4-6-0, but running 2-6-0s do seem to cut down on derails in scale form. ???
At 8 drivers I think your more era appropriate. The best overall? Hudsons scream NYC in my book. 8) Not to mention it had so many innovations applied. More so if its a Dreyfuss design 8) 8), but if your freight only, the streamlining may not really appeal to your tastes. (I hope this thread turns out to be long and interesting as I know it could be. Hey you would be engineers and history buffs, "No holding back now!") 

Pool guy

I totally agree with you as far as
The  Hudson goes. There are two issues with that though.....
1. It is a passenger loco I believe
2. It is not really a slow and smooth runner from what I understand.

The Kato Mikado is really nice but I think the NYC ones are long gone . I like the Bachmann's because they are ready to run and are dual mode should we go that way.

So I guess I'm still undecided between the 4 6 0 and the 2 6 0....
Thanks
Rick
Can someone post a side by side comparison?

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: Pool guy on March 19, 2013, 07:08:00 AM
I totally agree with you as far as
The  Hudson goes. There are two issues with that though.....
1. It is a passenger loco I believe
2. It is not really a slow and smooth runner from what I understand.
The Kato Mikado is really nice but I think the NYC ones are long gone . I like the Bachmann's because they are ready to run and are dual mode should we go that way.
So I guess I'm still undecided between the 4 6 0 and the 2 6 0....
Thanks Rick                                 Can someone post a side by side comparison?
After a few hours of curious NYC image searching and more "rivet counting" than I usually do I  think the Bachmann 2-6-0 ALCO #1906 for the smooth domes and boiler shape is about the closest to a proto on NYC I could find. Should you ever want to get some passenger traffic going in the future, something like that Bachmann #1905 Prairie did dual service on NYC. I found a good close-up of the #1960 http://www.filadelfosrc.com/web_images/Trains/BMT51702_4270.jpg
I found zero old photos for NYC with the domes on the unmarked Baldwin 4-6-0. Plus you already have another vote from wljacpa for that 2-6-0 for smooth running!
I only found one photo of a NYC J-1 Hudson with 8-10 box cars and 2 older coaches trailing, that was it {rural and it had a 1940s automobile in background}. I thought they got a little more high speed freight action than that early on.

Pool guy

Thanks all for your input. My son and I ordered BOTH the 2 6 0 and 4 6 0. We liked them both and couldn't decide.  We also ordered two sets of Baldwin Sharks. Lol

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: Pool guy on March 30, 2013, 08:51:27 AM
Thanks all for your input. My son and I ordered BOTH the 2 6 0 and 4 6 0. We liked them both and couldn't decide.  We also ordered two sets of Baldwin Sharks. Lol

Now thats what I call a solution! When do we see layout pics?

Pool guy

No layout as of yet. P,Nanking on a door layout using unitrack
Rick

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: Pool guy on March 30, 2013, 09:56:52 PM
No layout as of yet. P,Nanking on a door layout using unitrack
Rick
Ahhh fooey  :P, paint it all green or brown, and call it done enough to run! ;D  Then, if you wish, decorate/fiddle as time goes on. Since I was a kid, Ive been truly more interested in the locos than the "layouts" anyhow. I am a sucker for Og steam, gadgety operating accessories and cars, but the shear tiny coolness of N, has been whispering to me since the 70s. Better prices and quality got me to "share one" finally. My/our N is f-7 A-A Alaska passenger (+fedex), on an oval 50s retro-mod, wood coffee table.(Not at this house, 20 O-gauge locos, 120+/- rolling stock, +goodies and green paint here) The N table is still too nice to paint, but once scratched up, Ill do just the very top "chalkboard green"(not white, I got no plow) with a removable paper mache' Mt McKinley centerpiece. Next N will be an imported Japanese bullet train. The f-7 just got my toes wet, a test run before I fuss over finding one of those expensive little imported buggers. : It will get a longer, grey table top(concrete), contemp-modern, stainless legs. With one skyscraper centerpiece  8).