Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

MOW/Work Train Project

Started by jonathan, March 17, 2013, 08:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Folks,

Here's an ongoing project, that's been fun, and frustrating at the same time:

I'm building a Work Train, featuring a wreck crane and how the whole train might have been configured, if sent on a real emergency.

First, the locomotive.  This is yet another modified Consolidation.  Did you know, over 33,000 2-8-0s were built across the US?  Making it the most prolific loco of the steam era.  Is it any wonder we love them so much?  I can't say enough positives that the Bachmann folks built one so well...

Next is the crane.  The crane went behind the locomotive, in order to borrow water, coal or oil, from the loco tender, if necessary.  As a rule the crane never had it's own tender. This is a Rocco (sp), I picked up at an estate sale for $3.  There was an actual prototype for this crane, though the Rocco folks took a few liberties.  All I did was change out the wheels and couplers.  Works for me...

Could use some detailing I suppose...

Now, the real railroads used either a flat car, or gondola, to support the crane boom and carry whatever extra supplies were needed for the job...

Finally, there would have been some sort of support car to carry the work crew, tools, and whatever else was needed.  The B&O, being super efficient, converted a number of retired passenger cars for camp cars, tool cars, etc.  I did the same. This in an old Athearn passenger car.  I cut off the ends and made vestibules, among other little details.  It's based on an a prototype, although, I didn't follow it to the letter...

Now the fantasy, and frustrating, part of the project.

Doesn't matter what scale you model, we've all seen the "crane tender work caboose".  Wonderful looking car, They sell like hotcakes.  They were developed by the post-war Lionel folks, as part of their tinplate/toy collection.  Everybody loved 'em.  The other scales copied 'em.  Marvelous.  Only problem is they never actually existed.  I've been searching and searching for a prototype. There's a website, thortrains or something, that discusses, in length, the model history of this car, and the lack of a prototype.

I didn't care.  I built one, too.  They are so neat. There just had to be a prototype somewhere.  Anyway, here's mine.  Along with the superdetailing, there is added weight inside the tool boxes and cab.  The barrels are metal.  I wanted this to be extra heavy, so it could guide the boom around the layout:

So... what's the other problem with the car?  Always take a few measurements, BEFORE you start building...

Regards,

Jonathan

Jerrys HO

jonathan

I made a rubber stamp for your projects.
WOWWWWWWW!!!!!!

Seriously you are one of the greatest modelers and I put you in or above the level of the late,great John Allen.

Remember the old Home Depot commercial measure twice cut once.
Only thing I think of if you have not is to make that flat car a stretched flat car.(like they do with limo's) or raise the boom holder. I like to think you would stretch the car... ;D

Thanks for all the project inspirations you give us.
Jerry

jonathan

Jerry,  thanks, you are too kind.  I don't feel like a great modeler.  Just having some fun playing with trains.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

BaltoOhioRRfan

That's all you got? haha jk jk

Where you get the White Logos and all? I only know of Champ but they are out of business now and I only have a hand full left, would like to get more so when I can get a Bachamann NE Caboose undec I can do one in B&O I think I may have enough for that one but when that's done, i'm SOL

my B&O MOW Train consists of:

OLD Time Baggage Car, Snow Plow, and a Camp Car(all custom painted), 250 ton Crane, 2 RPOs(one to be repainted into revenue service), 2 Baggage(one to be painted into Revenue Service), Derrick Car, Tank Car, Gondola, Boom CAboose(all Athearn)

I got some C&O Stuff too, the Athearn 4 car pack and Bachmanns Crane/caboose. Anyone know where I can get white C&O Lettering to put on the caboose? or maybe the C&O For PRogress logo in white.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

jonathan

Recently, on ebay, somebody has been selling Champ B&O box car decals, with free shipping... very reasonable.  I picked up a couple sets.  There are other ways to get the B&O logos at reasonable rates.

Regards

Jonathan

BaltoOhioRRfan

Never thought to get the box car decals or any of the freight cars.....I wish Microscale would put out some B&O Freight decals or even better Caboose decals. that's one of the thing us B&O Fans really are without is a decent model caboose at an affordable price, Bachmanns NE6 would be a good one, while not correct as long as it looks close i'll run it.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

jonathan

OK, solved the crane problem.  I found a 120-ton crane kit.  Difficult to build, but the detail is nice, and the boom fits on the boom car.  Even better, the B&O actually had several of these (Brownhoist?) cranes.  

Here are a few close ups to get an idea of the many tiny parts:

The included thread was too thick, so I got some "Fine" Silk thread from a fabric store to rig the tension rods.  I am comfortable with my masculinity, so I survived the trip to my wife's favorite store.  ;D

Sooooooo.... my question is...

I want to include some canvas curtains, which were installed on many of these cranes.  I've put in some brackets/rods:

What do I use for the curtains?  I was thinking of plain white paper; folded up and painted.  Was hoping someone has tried making HO Scale curtains in the past.  Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Jonathan

electrical whiz kid

H, Jonathan;
GREAT WORK!!!  On the cable:  The late Lee Vandevise came up with a way to have scale looking wire rope (that is its proper name) and avoid the sags and wildness commonly associated with thread, as well as the tedious job it takes to do what you did.  He used brass (I use phosphor bronze) wire to simulate any kind of wire rope application on a model.  Take a set of dividers and set it for the distance you need, and cut it.  I usually stick mine in a "blacken it" solution to achieve the weathered look of this equipment.

Rich C.

AGSB

I have read articles in which modellers have used used tea bags for curtains on engine cabs. Don't know if they would be large enough for this application, but you could install them tied back.

J3a-614

Oh, a classic, the Gould Company/Tichy Train Group (Gould Company successor) 120-ton Industrial Brownhoist wrecker, a beautiful kit that was notable, when it came out, for having a bunch of parts (as you've noticed) with minimal flash and trimming necessary (a revelation at the time--this was when Athearn's Blue Box kits were the standard).  I should know, I've got one, lettered for C&O of course.

I actually got to see one rerailing derailed hoppers outside Triadelphia, W.Va. (near Wheeling) on the now abandoned line between Wheeling and Washington, Pa.  Besides seeing that smoking wrecker--and one of those will outsmoke most steam locomotives--the event was notable in that one of the diesels assigned to the wreck train that day was the famous gold GM50, a GP-40-2 in a special paint scheme to celebrate the 50th anniversary of EMD. 

I might mention that another wrecker that's accurate for the B&O is the Athearn job.  This one represents a 250-ton Industrial Brownhoist, and also represents a steam wrecker, too (some other models represent diesel or diesel-conversion wreckers).  I remember seeing one in Brunswick, Md., in the early 1980, complete with its support train that included several heavyweight passenger cars, one an open-platform observation car.  How I wish I had the money to buy all that stuff (and  more that was around then) to start a museum and excursion road! 

Classic work, of course. . .representing the distinctive equipment of a classic road. . .

jonathan

Thanks, guys.

I like the stiff wire idea to represent the wire rope.  I suppose it would take something in the .008" to .010" range... Pretty thin stuff.  I think the 'E' Strings on my guitars were .009".

Tea bags! What a great idea.  I'll have to check around to see if we have any.  I'm a coffee drinker.

Experimented a little this morning.  I accordian-folded three little pieces of standard copier paper and sprayed a little primer on them... along with drilling a #78 hole through the top edges.  I was going to try a little creamy white dry brush to finish them off:

J3a, how I wish I had gotten to see some of those sites as a kid. 

This kit is proving to be quite the challenge.

Regards,

Jonathan

Doneldon

jonathan-

I've used nylon hosiery for curtains and drapes in both locomotives and structure windows. You can paint them any color, they hold
paint like a pit bull and you can make them "drape" just like the real cloth they are. And one leg purloined from a spouse's drawer or
saved from the wastebasket after a run, provides enough material for scale acres of fabric.
                                                                                                                                       -- D

jonathan

Another great idea!  Thanks, Doneldon.  Hope my wife thinks so, too.   ;D

If the hosiery works well, I will start adding curtains to all my steamers and replace the crane drapes as well. 

I left the rods press fit, just a little paint holds them in.  For now my paper curtains will have to do:

The decals are still drying out from the Microsol, so I can't weather the base, yet.  However, here's a few preliminary shots of the crane:

I had to make do with the decals I had on hand.  The "AND" should be spelled out, and my build date is incorrect. But, it will be hard to see after the weathering.

This is going to be the icing on the cake for my MOW train.  Can't wait to take the train to Timonium to run it at the fall train show.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

That's more like it:

My next project:  raiding my wife's sock drawer for curtain material.   ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

Thomas1911

Looks great, Jonathan.  I may have to pick up one of those kits and give it a try.