News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

MOW/Work Train Project

Started by jonathan, March 17, 2013, 08:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Thanks, very much, Thomas.

One word of warning.  A couple of the steps are unclear, in both the description and/or the diagram.  As a result, I may have installed the boom pulleys upside down.  I don't know for sure, as my prototype photographs were fuzzy and didn't show the boom detail clearly.  The bar that runs across the pulley mechanism is probably suppose to go underneath, so the mechanism can rest on that bar when the boom is lowered completely.

My other two wreck cranes have bars across both the bottom and top of the pulley mechanism.

Could be labeled under the "DOH!" category.  The little plastic parts are too delicate for me to attempt to pull them apart and turn the mechanism over... not to mention re-rigging the rope wire.

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum

I made this car quite heavy, for good tracking.  The base cavity is completely filled with lead shot, small sinkers and epoxy.  I considered adding weight to the cab, but thought better of it... need to keep the center of gravity low.  This also helps sturdy the draft gear boxes.  You'll see what I mean if you decide to build this kit.

ebtnut

Great stuff as always, Jonathon.  Hope to see the real thing in October.  Missed this past weekend's Timonium show - was photographing the new "old" 4-4-0 up in New Freedome, PA.  Lucky to get there early enough to shoot the first trip, since the loco developed a problem in the valve gear on the way back and was sidelined for the rest of the weekend (sounds familiar, doesn't it? ;)

Doneldon

jonathan-

You amaze me time after time. Not only are those great looking models, your weathering looks just like the old wrecker trains
looked. Well, except for one thng, maybe. Your drapes on the crane are far too clean and there aren't any tattered shreds hanging
from the hems. Or maybe the old drapes were so bad the BaltO finally had to buy some new ones?
                                                                                                                                                   -- D

jonathan

Thanks, ebtnut. Hopefully, we'll cross paths at Timonium this Fall.  Been following the 4-4-0 thread.  Hope to see it in person one of these days.

Thanks, too, Doneldon.  "New Drapes"... Yeah, that's what happened.  ;)   Although, the B&O was such an 'always cash strapped' railroad, don't know if they could afford new drapes.

The weathering was just a mist of Grimy Black over the subassemblies, followed by dry-brushing a little Rail Brown and Mud after the car was built.

Whilst I try to yoink some stockings from my wife, I'll work on the layout skirting for a while.  Snagged some cheap fabric while I was buying thread.  I can't sew, but Stitch Witchery seems to work for the layout.

Ahem... think I need to go out and toss the football around with my son for a while.  ;D

Regards,

Jonathan 

andrewd

does the crane really operate like can it lift and lower and spin???? and what amount of weight can it lift if it can lift

Jerrys HO

most of the MOW crane cars are manually operated. it is possible to motorize one as I have seen them on you tube and I believe someone posted one here too.
as for how much it can lift, as much as the thread can hold without popping or until you flip the car over, which ever come's first. I would expect it wouldn't take much though as these were meant to be more for looks than operating otherwise I think they would have an option to motorize them. just my thoughts.

Jerry

andrewd

what about if you ad stabilizer legs to the crane do you think that will allow it to lift a lot depending on what the legs are made of plastic maybe a 2-8-0 or an 0-6-0 cardboard a boxcar at the most

Doneldon

Quote from: andrewd on August 03, 2013, 09:39:28 AM
what about if you ad stabilizer legs to the crane do you think that will allow it to lift a lot depending on what the legs are made of plastic maybe a 2-8-0 or an 0-6-0 cardboard a boxcar at the most

Andrew-

I would expect that stabilizing legs would increase a crane's capacity a good deal. They would add mass, making the crane less likely to pull itself over. How effective this would be is largely a matter of the weight of the stabilizers; metal ones would have a greater effect than plastic ones. A stabilizer between the crane and load would shift the bulk of the load to that point and allow you to lift right up to the breaking point of your cable (thread). And that cable can be very strong if it's synthetic or silk. Of course, a stabilizer between the crane and load can be difficult to use because there will typically by limited space to put one between the crane and load. Stabilizers to the sides of the plane of the crane's boom and cable would help with side-to-side motion as well as adding mass. A stabilizer behind and in the same plane as the crane's boom and cable would amplify the effects of its mass because it would have a great leveraging advantage.

Now, do you plan to hook electric motors into the crane so you can extend and swing its stabilizing legs or do you plan to use hydraulics for that?

-- D

andrewd

I meant legs that hold the crane steady by pressing against the ground

Jerrys HO

Quote from: andrewd on August 03, 2013, 09:39:28 AM

That sure would be asking a lot of a plastic crane to do. You would have to restring it with Gorilla or Spider fishing line, then I would take about a 6 inch wood screw and screw the car down to the track and benchwork and hope the plastic boom on the crane did not break.

Jerry

Doneldon

Quote from: andrewd on August 03, 2013, 08:21:24 PM

Andrew-

Yes. I understood that.

-- D

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on August 04, 2013, 02:49:42 AM
Quote from: andrewd on August 03, 2013, 08:21:24 PM

Andrew-

Yes. I understood that.

-- D

Andrew.  The extending legs are called "outriggers", see previous post.  If you use the correct name people will know what you are talking about, as Doneld now does.  BTW, sorry for typing "Donald", it's force of habit.  :(

andrewd

oops sorry for the putting in the wrong word I knew they had another name but I couldn't remember what it was so are you goanna add outriggers to your crane

Ken G Price

Sorry, but I have to nit pick here.

You do know that wreck cranes are not used by the MOW departments. They are used for clearing wrecks, then they get taken back to sit until the next time there are derailed engines or cars.

MOW would have at that time smaller donkey cranes, it a crane at all. Now a high rail with crane or a mobile road crane.

These nit picks, were brought to you by, Ned's Nit Pickers, Inc. ;D
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/