Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

MOW/Work Train Project

Started by jonathan, March 17, 2013, 08:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Quote from: Ken G Price on August 04, 2013, 05:37:58 PM
Sorry, but I have to nit pick here.

You do know that wreck cranes are not used by the MOW departments. They are used for clearing wrecks, then they get taken back to sit until the next time there are derailed engines or cars.

MOW would have at that time smaller donkey cranes, it a crane at all. Now a high rail with crane or a mobile road crane.

These nit picks, were brought to you by, Ned's Nit Pickers, Inc. ;D

Right on!

Supported by: -

Nit-Pickers Unite Inc.

Jerrys HO

Quote from: rogertra on August 04, 2013, 08:27:37 PM

You do know that wreck cranes are not used by the MOW departments. They are used for clearing wrecks, then they get taken back to sit until the next time there are derailed engines or cars.

MOW would have at that time smaller donkey cranes, it a crane at all. Now a high rail with crane or a mobile road crane.

Right on!

Nit-Pickers Unite Inc.

Is there any memberships left available or have they all been filled? What skills do I need or am I over qualified? ::) ;D

Jerry

rogertra

Quote from: Jerrys HO on August 04, 2013, 08:36:26 PM
Quote from: rogertra on August 04, 2013, 08:27:37 PM

Right on!

Nit-Pickers Unite Inc.

Is there any memberships left available or have they all been filled? What skills do I need or am I over qualified? ::) ;D

Jerry

Don't worry Jerry, your membership card is in the mail.  Welcome aboard.

Doneldon

Quote from: Jerrys HO on August 04, 2013, 08:36:26 PM

Jerry

Jerry-

I think membership is closed but I can pull some strings and get you in. My
wife has been the Honorary President for many years.

-- D

jonathan

;D  Well, I guess I should have called this a "Wreck Train Project".  ;D

I got so excited about building a wreck crane I abandoned the other cars I had intended to build.

One day, I'll be knowledgeable enough to join the club.  For now, I'll live as one of the great unwashed hackers.  ;)

Regards,

Jonathan

BaltoOhioRRfan

speaking of wreck cranes, i got an old athearn blue box in B&O, however the crane doesn't swivel freely at all and often derails on curves if i have the boom inside the boom support on the boom car. i tried lubing it and all and it still wont swivil freely enough. any suggestions
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Jerrys HO

Balto

My Bachmann did the same thing. I don't know if they are made different, but I took the crane assy. off and filed the hole just enough to get some of the tension off of the spindle but not enough to make it free spin, then I put a little greasem on it. It now rotates with the movement of the other car.

Jerry

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: Jerrys HO on August 05, 2013, 05:35:41 PM
Balto

My Bachmann did the same thing. I don't know if they are made different, but I took the crane assy. off and filed the hole just enough to get some of the tension off of the spindle but not enough to make it free spin, then I put a little greasem on it. It now rotates with the movement of the other car.

Jerry

hmm, never thought about that and now it seems so obvious haha. Thanks will try it when i finish this one project i'm working on. I might add some weight to the boom car as well.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

electrical whiz kid

Hi, Jonathan;
I have used tissue paper in the past to provide curtains for steamers, and any equipment that called for them.  Tissue works especially well, because it will conform (with a little convincing) to the need you may have.  It also takes stains well, which the prototype did accrue via being "on the road again".  Also, your guitar strings are OK, but they won't usually take a weathered finish that won't come off easily, which is why I use phosphor bronze.  (.009??!!!  Not so good for sustain-I use .011 1st, and flat wound, but then, I am pretty much a jazz player).
Rich C.

Balrog21

Saw this and had to post a pic, if you want more pics of this car just let me know..it's about 5 blocks from me just sitting there soaking up the sunshine on a daily basis.  ;D