News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DPM vs Woodland Scenics

Started by Bill Baker, February 08, 2007, 11:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Baker

Is it my imagination or are the Woodland Scenics structures smaller than DPM?  Which is truly 1:87?
Bill

Rich R

Dunno really,
Same company if you check however. Design Preservation Models and Woodland Scenics are the same or owned by a common company.
I think that Woodland scenics make more branch line/rural type structures as opposed to mainline big city types.

Cheers,
Rich R

jayl1

I believe WS is more along the lines of scenery - grass, turf, trees, landscaping, & small scenes.  DPM is larger buildings although WS has a few smaller buildings.

SteamGene

Almost all HO structure are selectively compressed.  Apparently WS and DPM were once independent but are now connected in some way.  And yes, WS has structures that seem more small town, rural, than DPM.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jschmid

one of many companys that are one of bachmanns is woodland scenics, i also think that dpm is the same company of woodland scenics, making it also bachmann, dpm is just  flat put together kitbash your on models, and woodland, well scenics!

Len

I think Dave Osment, founder of Osment Models Inc., might be a bit surprised to find out Osment Models Inc. dba Woodland Scenics, DPM, etc. belong to Bachmann.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Paul M.

Wow. I guess you learn something new everyday. I never knew that DPM, Woodland Scenics and Bachmann were somehow linked in ownership.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

the Bach-man

Dear All,
Neither did we...
Not true.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

John C

Haven't seen any new Woodland Scenics stuff for a while.  All the WS structures that I have are old cast metal ones.  Any of the DPM ones that I have are plastic.  All are in kit form.  Maybe it's time to go back to the LHS!

Rich R

Quote from: John C on February 10, 2007, 01:03:40 PM
Haven't seen any new Woodland Scenics stuff for a while.  All the WS structures that I have are old cast metal ones.  Any of the DPM ones that I have are plastic.  All are in kit form.  Maybe it's time to go back to the LHS!

Hi John,

I believe that nothing has changed as to the type of material used in each line but check the website of WS and you'll see that there are lots of new things available or soon to be available. Your LHS might not have the newest stuff in stock yet.  But it’s good to know that you at least have a LHS. <sigh>

Cheers,
Rich R

John C

Quote from: Rich R on February 11, 2007, 05:50:33 PM
Quote from: John C on February 10, 2007, 01:03:40 PM

Hi John,

I believe that nothing has changed as to the type of material used in each line but check the website of WS and you'll see that there are lots of new things available or soon to be available. Your LHS might not have the newest stuff in stock yet.  But it’s good to know that you at least have a LHS. <sigh>

Cheers,
Rich R

Thanks Rich,  I'll take a look and see what I've been missing - or at least what I can expect.  We're fortunate to have 3 very well stocked hobby shops in Calgary.  Next weekend is SuperTrain - our annual train show and one of the largest in western Canada.  I expect that there'll be a lot of interesting things there.  Sure helps pass the time in the winter here.  Today it's about -4 F and snowing sideways!

Cheers!

John