News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Installing front couplers

Started by ajp3751, August 20, 2007, 04:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajp3751

I have a IHC mike and I like using it for long frieghts. I just ordered a spectrum 2-8-0 and I want to use them in tandem with the mike in the back, but the mike doesn't have a front coupler, just a fake one. I can get some kadee boxes and couplers, but I don't know how to install it. Any suggestions?

SteamGene

Go to the Kadee website and check there. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

kevin2083

It says to use a #38 on the pilot and a #5 on the tender. When I did this the tender coupler height was too low, so be sure to check. You might want to put in some wheelsets with closer to scale flanges on the tender while you're at it. I don't have any advice on the pilot conversion since my pilot is "home-made" (after a trip to the floor). Hope this helps.

______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

ajp3751

Thanks, I had problems with a kadee #5 I put in the tender before, and I'll see what i can do to help that.
I also had an incident with my mike falling off a three foot high trestle ending with a bent drawbar, broken couplers and the fake front coupler being lost. That is all fixed now, but I want to be able to double head with it now. Ill see about the #38s. One day, dcc and sound.

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

I wish I could give you specifics on how to add the pilot coupler to the IHC mike,  but it has been more than 10 years since I did so.   All I can tell you is that after turning the engine over,   I looked for the best possible place to position a screw and worked from there.   One thing to consider is creating the hole in the front of the pilot and test fitting couplers for height and length of shaft.  The advent of the new KD coupler line with the metal cat whisker centering wires may make things a lot easier although the pilot hole will be a bit larger due to the size of the end of shank being built up to accomidate the wires.
        On my converstion,  if memory serves,  my coupler had very little swing to it,  but was sufficient to allow double heading with my other IHC engines.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Len

Use a dummy coupler on the front of the IHC. It doesn't need as big a hole in the pilot as a Kadee, and will mate with a Kadee or clone and look better when running the 'Mike' on it's own.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

bevernie

www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

Conrail Quality

Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

djp

LOL the guy has gone off his rails.
Get Off My Train !!!

bevernie

:D No, actually, if you'll notice, I only did it on 3 threads, and each was referring to couplers! I just thought it might be convenient to have them all three together (if only for a short time!!)
                                                                                      THANX!!
                                                                                        Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com