News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

on30 hawian line

Started by uscgtanker, March 26, 2013, 11:02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uscgtanker

My father is starting to build a short line in Hawaii. Mostly on sugar cane lines and possible some lumber.

maxxi

and what is the message ?

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: maxxi on March 30, 2013, 10:43:06 AM
and what is the message ?
My guess? Anticipation and excitement, or the passing of an idea. I had never considered an Hawaiian RR.

Hamish K

Hawaii is an excellent setting for an On30 line.  Hawaii had a large n.umber of narrow gauge lines, mainly sugar, but fruit (pineapples) and timber as well. Some had a common carrier service. As well as3 foot gauge there were  some 30 inch gauge lines.  Locomotives included Baldwin 0-6-2 and 2-6-2 tank locomotives. Some are preserved. If you want an example, look up Grove Farm.

A Hawaiian tank locomotive would be a good choice for Bachmann to make as an On30. Model. Also a sugar cane car. How about it, Bachmann?

Hamish

Hamish K

Sorry, I should have given the url for Grove Farm http://grovefarm.org/

Looking it up is confusing as there are many Grove Farms, most nothing to do with trains!

Hamish

GG1onFordsDTandI

I went narrow Hawaiian RR info hunting and found this before returning here, http://www.hawaiianrailway.com/ . Neat virtual tour. of rolling stock. No restroom use at the station please! Some cool history there worth reading about too. Speaking of history, that Paulo engine on your link is cool as it is old. I was on that site before I think. Im going to image hunt on that Paulo a while. Got access to any more photos of it? That could be a good answer to the "whats after Heisler" post. A great on30 candidate.

ryeguyisme

There was even a few K-28's shipped over there

uscgtanker

Those engines would be perfect models for adding to the ON30 line. Sugar cane cars would also be nice for Bachmann.

GG1onFordsDTandI

You need to sneak us some pictures of the work in progress with your shoephone 8).. :D..I mean cellphone  ;),.
This is a very interesting little narrow gauge niche. One worth more attention by folks. Any suggested reading & sites is appreciated (by me at least) 
Maybe you could make up a drawing/diagram, maybe done with Anyrail free, or other free track planner, etc.(I build, convert file type or "snip" then use MS paint or other graphics programs for better detail, Kinda fun)
.........We can wait.....................................   ...............      ...............         ..........         ...    ...    . . ! .....  .  .