News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Ways to idenitify stolen trains....

Started by BaltoOhioRRfan, April 01, 2013, 10:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaltoOhioRRfan

I may have reclaimed one of my stolen engines off ebay, I know how to identify that one if its mine or not as I had to repair it...

But my question is, I want to put markings on the underside of my engines and was wondering what would be the hardest to get off, yet bearly be noticeable? I was thinking of getting a marker with that ink in it that you have to use a black light to see but I have no idea where to get emor if they even make them. I was also thinking a black sharpie but that maybe to hard to see....

any suggestions?
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

faraway

How about some marking only visible under ultraviolet light. Expensive oriental rugs get marked that way at the underside.
Reinhard

Thomas1911

Ink can easily be cleaned off.  Paint would be marginally better.

I would suggest engraving your initials or some other identifying mark on the frames of your locos.  The thief would have to file off whatever mark you add.

Should be able to pick up an inexpensive electric engraving tool online or at a local hardware store.

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: Thomas1911 on April 01, 2013, 11:47:05 AM
Ink can easily be cleaned off.  Paint would be marginally better.

I would suggest engraving your initials or some other identifying mark on the frames of your locos.  The thief would have to file off whatever mark you add.

Should be able to pick up an inexpensive electric engraving tool online or at a local hardware store.

I have a dremel and ingraving bit
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan

WoundedBear

I never knew there was a black market dealing in hot toy trains......... :o ;D

Only in America, I guess. ::)

Sid

ryeguyisme

one of my brass engines has someones Social Security number on the bottom, that used to be a way of identifying the original owner but I wouldn't suggest putting that, I would engrave my engines and take a picture of myself with the engravings and myself  in the picture, and then make a secret engraving on the inside of a boiler shell or tender shell, that way if they go past the first, they'll overlook the second(not to many people have the guts to go under the hood of an engine!

Doneldon

Balto-

There's something to be said for marking your equipment in a way that is visible: it can discourage future buyers which will at least limit the thief's resale prospects. It won't help you get the stuff back unless the police find someone with it but that's pretty much true anyway. I suppose a second mark in a hidden location might be a good idea but I doubt if it would help you get your things back, again, unless the police find someone with the goods or you have to prove it belongs to you. I hate to say it, but I believe many people who find out they have something which was stolen will just keep it, knowing that they will lose both the item and their money if they take it to the police. They may justify the decision to themselves by thinking the loss was probably insured or there's no real way to get it back to the real owner anyway. That said, I'd suggest buying a cheap electric engraver -- Harbor Freight has them for just a few dollars -- and putting your name on the bottom, with a hidden mark up inside somewhere. And make sure that you document the markings photographically.

There is the question of what mark to use. You want something which is unmistakable but inobtrusive. You also want something which won't change and which won't expose you to foul play down the line. That makes it really hairy. Phone numbers and drivers license numbers change. So do addresses. Social Security numbers, which aren't supposed to be used as identification (it says so right on the card!) are used for all kinds of official purposes today. And an SSN in the wrong hands (like the guy who just stole your brass loco?) poses a serious risk for identity theft. I engrave my name on valuables and then add my phone number on a small piece of paper glued to the item. That way I have a permanent mark but can still change the number if I move or change providers. Of course, it's getting so you can keep a cell phone number anywhere you go and you can almost do that with a land line, too, unless you move a long way.

-- D

jbrock27

Sid, I didn't realize there was a black market either.

Maybe that is why when a questioner comes along asking how much a Pathmark train is worth, they should go unanswered...
Keep Calm and Carry On

West Bound

Use the last four digits of your SS number. They will never change, it's short, and your not compromising private information. -John

Doneldon

Quote from: West Bound on April 02, 2013, 04:18:06 PM
Use the last four digits of your SS number. They will never change, it's short, and your not compromising private information. -John

John-

It's true that the last four numbers alone don't pose much risk,
but they don't identify you, either. There are at least 30,000
people with the same last four numbers.
                                                                   -- D

West Bound

Doneldon, What are the odds of one of those 30,000 knowing where you placed the marking or even claiming the loco belongs to them. - John

Doneldon

Quote from: West Bound on April 02, 2013, 09:54:59 PM
Doneldon, What are the odds of one of those 30,000 knowing where you placed the marking or even claiming the loco belongs to them. - John

John-

Very low, of course. But I'm not talking about my ability to prove ownership; I'm talking about a police officer trying
to identify the owners of a cache of stolen locomotives with nothing more to go on than four digits, even if s/he
realizes they are part of a Social Security number.
                                                                               -- D

BaltoOhioRRfan

I was going to use my initials and birthdate in two locations, under the engine between the wheels on steam engines and under the cab roof on the overhang(if there is one) and of course under the tender.

I should have gotten the engine yesterday but due to a signature being required(someone was home yesterday and swears they didn't knock on the door) I got a dang notice. I'm gonna have it delivered to my neighbors house since I know they will be home all day.

The engine i'm expecting to recover is the American Freedom Train T-1 from Precision Craft Models. They hobby shop in question useally only deals with 2nd hand HO items of that caliber in detail(it showed too, only offered it for $150 when i orginially bought the thing for $225) and it is within 6 miles of my house. So i find that being a bit fishy since we all know PCM only did limited runs on things. And I've only seen one for sale which i bought way back when i worked at MB Klein. Box also showed similar wear to the one i had so when i finally get it i should beable to prove ownership as i had to repair it(a peice was broke before i bought it new from the shop) so there should be a little glue evidence around the glued piece
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan

jbrock27

I heard that police departments are going to call their section that investigates model train thefts, THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY DIVISION.  I believe the name of the first ever lead detective of such a division is  Casey Jones.
Keep Calm and Carry On

GG1onFordsDTandI

Stolen trains :o No greater crime! From your home? A show? A homemade serial number etched/engraved with last name like those added to TV's and appliances by owners isn't a bad idea for stuff at home, you would never sell, or trade. And could, just maybe, get it back to you. With any method even easy too see paint, its proper recording by you, could be offered up to the law, and your insurance company too. If at home and a great deal of focus was on your trains I would suspect an acquaintance who knew what was there. Were normal items nabbed too? Hope you get something back, but it takes luck. My pal recovered an un-insured custom 4wd truck he had rebuilt, 7yrs after its theft. It was spotted abandoned in a Detroit ghetto backyard by another friend who works on telephone lines. While up on a pole, too unique to miss or mistake, a cell call was made. A battery, gas, air tank, the TITLE, extra keys never thrown away, a call to the state police/tow truck(in case), and a short argument with the "present owner", total 1.5 hours after sited, the 7yrs dirty, but un-driven, truck was started right up and driven back home again! The last "seller", right next door, was being given steel bracelets as the truck left. Hand written sales slip got him arrested. Truck was not needed for evidence. A good day for Lady Justice. Hope your luck runs this good with your loco's.