DCC issues. Forward = Reverse and Intermittent pick-up.

Started by rogertra, April 29, 2013, 07:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Two problems.

First.

Why do some locomotives operate in reverse when forward is selected?

Seems to happen with my steam when I swap tenders, as explained below.

Second.

I have on occasion purchased steam engines in a road name I don't need because they come
with sound.  I then swap tender bodies for a previously weathered and decalled Great
Eastern engine, couple the tender to the engine and then experience what seems to be
intermittent pick-up issues.  The tender worked just fine behind the original engine but
as soon as I swap tender bodies and couple the tender to it's new engine, pick-up goes
awry.

Both the above are with Spectrum 2-8-0s if that helps.  It's happened twice and I now have
two engines, with sound, that I can't use.  :-(

richg

Get you ohm meter out and troubleshoot. Compare the wiring with the tenders that do work correctly.
I am sure you have seen this here before. There are issues with the wiring in Bachmann tenders. Jim Banner pointed that out some years ago here.

Rich

ken black

Hi Roger If the loco is going in opposite direction try reversing the decoder it maybe backward Ken Black

bapguy

Make sure the plugs are all in tight.When you weathered the loco's you may have gotten some of the weathering on the wheel contacts. As far as the loco's running back wards, CV29 can change this. Tony's train has a CV29 chart that explains the values. Joe

rogertra

I fixed the forward = reverse by readdressing the engine.  Tried CV 29 but screwed that up.  Re-addresing solved it though.

As for intermittent pickup?

Still haven't fixed that one yet but thanks for all the suggestions.